• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Animal based MA'S

Do people on this forum do or know of any forms of MA which are based on animals stances. I am not sure if there is a system of Kung Fu that does it. But i hear werid MA's like the Snake and so on. Am i being messed here or what?

Peace :karate:

PEACE AND LOVE.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Kuk Sool Won is not really animal based, but it does incorporate some animal styles, especially the bear, crane, mantis, tiger, dragon, and snake just to name a few. The animal styles do not dominate Kuk Sool Won, as KSW focuses more on the human aspect of the art, the animal styles are minor parts of techniques (Maek Chi Ki 11) and are found in various forms (Joong Geup Hyung on up).

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

We learn Animal Hand Forms in my style even though they are not predominately used. We must know the form and use of Leopard, Tiger, Crane, Snake and Dragon fist.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Don't worry, you're not crazy... There are lots of styles that tie in analogies to animals. Now, just because you're studying Shaolin White Crane doesn't mean that you flap your arms about wildly while making whooping noises.... If you do, that wasn't covered in Dr. Yang's book :D

Often the body mechanics are analogous to poetic qualities in animals. A snake form, for example would involve crouching, with fast, direct strikes.

Other forms, such as Mantis style, even has hand postures that kinda look like a praying mantis.

Heck, I've seen some wushu performers doing a monkey style form where they actually appear to be picking bugs off their body and eating them :)

Some people in TSD (depending on school and association) attribute various forms to different animals. Pyung Ahn forms represent the turtle, Sip Soo is the Bear, Bassai is Snake, etc. I don't necessarily agree with that concept, but I can see how one might make such analogies.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Some people in TSD (depending on school and association) attribute various forms to different animals. Pyung Ahn forms represent the turtle, Sip Soo is the Bear, Bassai is Snake, etc. I don't necessarily agree with that concept, but I can see how one might make such analogies.

Er...no.

The Pinan forms are likely to have been derived from "Channan." Given the close connection between Fujain White Crane and Okinawan Karate, it is likely that the kata derived from the Okinawan originals, like the Shotokan kata used in Tang Soo Do, are influenced by Crane. In some forms, like Gankaku, and Gojushiho (both Dai and Sho),and Unsu, the influences are obvious.

I have read that there exist Tiger Fist influences in the Naihanchi Kata, but am unsure what these are.

Supposedly, the precurser to Suparinpei, Pechurin, was a Dragon style form. The To'on Ryu version of Suparimpei is said to be closer to the original version than the one seen in Goju.

Uechi Ryu is said to derive from a combination of Tiger and Crane fist styles.

In Kojo Ryu, a lesser known family style in Okinawa, the use of various "postures" based upon animal influences is readily apparrent.

According to David Soared, a Denver area Shaolin instructor, most Okinawan Karate techniques can be traced to "bird" styles popular in Southern China in the 17th and 18th Centuries.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Heck, I've seen some wushu performers doing a monkey style form where they actually appear to be picking bugs off their body and eating them :)

Ahh..Paulie Zink....the man, the simian impersonator! :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Er...no.

Er... yes. People really do say this. I didn't say it was right.

The Pinan forms are likely to have been derived from "Channan." Given the close connection between Fujain White Crane and Okinawan Karate, it is likely that the kata derived from the Okinawan originals, like the Shotokan kata used in Tang Soo Do, are influenced by Crane.

Hard to say, since no one knows that channan/jaenam looks like. Though I will agree that Crane plays the biggest influence. I'm not sure where the animal analogies i.e. (Pyung Ahn = turtle) came from exactly... just that it is used in many books and schools. That's the problem with Korean to English. For all we know, someone was trying to wax poetic about the pyung ahns being like a turtle, and someone turned that into "pyung ahn forms are turtle forms."

Ahh..Paulie Zink....the man, the simian impersonator! :D

I'm not sure what you mean... Paulie Zink IS a monkey, somewhat shaven :)