• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts research library

Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul, Real Applications to the ITF Patterns, vol 2, by Stuart Paul Anslow.

I read the first volume, and really liked it, and volume 2 picks up with black belt patterns, going from Hwa-Rang to Juche. Although I don't practice all the patterns listed in this book, I still found the technique walk-throughs interesting, and I do like the most of them. Also of worth are the intro sections on the names of the forms; if Anslow could do expanded works on just the history of the forms themselves, I'd buy that, too!

I realize there are TKD practitioners out there that probably don't agree with the route Anslow has taken on interpreting the ITF forms, and he has explained how he has extrapolated the interpretations he has made. Whether you like them or not, they do make you think, which is good for anyone. And even though my organization has variations on some of the techniques in these forms, I still find the applications useful, even when it comes to modifications for the way we do things.

I impatiently await volume 3!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend This is Self Defense by Professor Frank Ricardo. This is still available on Amazon. The Professor studied under a number of great martial artists including Professor Wally Jay (Small Circle Jujitsu), Professor Sig Kufferath (Danzan Ryu Jujitsu and Siefukujutsu), Senior Grandmaster Rick Alemany, Remey Presas, as well as working with many other well known martial artists. He is a 9th Dan in Kempo, I believe he holds an 8th in Jujitsu, and an 8th in Eskrima. Professor Ricardo trains US Special forces in combative martial arts. His book has a lot of valuable knowledge and Martial Arts theory.

I highly recommend his book.

I have many favorites - these days I gravitate to historical books.

My partial list off the top of my head is-

Okinawan Karate by Mark Bishop

Martial Musings by Robert Smith

Chinese Boxing and Methods by Robert Smith

Southern Praying Mantis by Gin Foon Mark

The Karate Dojo by Peter Urban

Also Richard Kim wrote some informative Books and Jesse Glover wrote a book about Bruce Lee during the Seattle Years.

I'm not saying that everything in the above mentioned books is correct -never the less I enjoyed the read.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

For those on here interested in serious, in depth research into Japanese martial arts, a new book has just been published by Dr David Hall.

"The Encyclopedia of Japanese Martial Arts".

Not cheap, but very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Japanese-Martial-Arts-David/dp/1568364105

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Hello,

For those on here interested in serious, in depth research into Japanese martial arts, a new book has just been published by Dr David Hall.

"The Encyclopedia of Japanese Martial Arts".

Not cheap, but very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Japanese-Martial-Arts-David/dp/1568364105

K.

Looks promising. I've added it to my wish list. :)

• 1 month later...

The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-do Patterns, volumes 1-3, by Stuart Anslow.

Anslow has taken all 25 of the ITF forms created by General Choi, including both Ko Dang and Juche, and also taken in the GTF patterns Jee-Sang, Dhan-Goon, Pyong-Hwa, and Sun-Duk, as well as a weapons form called the Silla Knife Pattern, and layed out each of these forms in these three volumes. The forms are pretty well layed out, with the patterns viewed as they would be by a test examiner, with pictures of the reverse view clarifying those that are looking away from the reader. There are also directional arrows showing the directions of the movements, and stance diagrams below the pictures to show movement. At the bottom of each page, there are pictures that help to relate what is going on between movements. He also includes notes on ITF points of the forms, or GTF points of the forms, to help assist those associated with those organizations.

Each book opens with sections regarding a brief history of the Ch'ang On patterns, TKD, highlighting TKD pioneers who were involved in helping Gen. Choi formulate the original patterns of TKD, and why some do Juche, and some do Ko Dang. Next is a section that relates how different organizations may approach different aspects of techniques when chambering for blocks or strikes, and the different movement methods used, like knee spring, sine wave, natural motion, etc.

In the appendices of the books, there are studies on the use of sine-wave, and differing motions found in the ITF, like continuous motion, fast motion, etc, and also some charts on kihap points for different organizations.

One of the appendices, only in book one, is "A True and More Complete History of Taekwon-do," written by George Vitale, which was just a joy to read. Also, the information involving the pioneering masters of TKD was great information, and how different masters worked on and helped Choi with different forms was good reading.

I really thought these volumes were pretty well put together. There were a few hiccups in the pictures and text, but not enough to get really worked up over. I liked the pictures used and the format, and it was pretty easy to keep up with where the forms were going as I read along. I think if I was to try to work my way through a new form using these books, I could probably manage it pretty well. The GTF forms were fun to read about, as it was the first time I had heard of them.

Overall, I say it is a good set of books, nicely laid out, and really without any kind of organizational bias, although the ITF templates are used in laying out the patterns. I would recommend them as a TKD reference.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The latest additions to my library:

The Prince - Nicholas Machiavelli

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

Not directly related to martial arts as such but very good reading nonetheless. Especially important for understanding a bit more about philosophies / mindsets. I picked up these from the Capstone Classics set which

a) look good on the shelf

b) but also each has a foreword by Tom Butler-Bowden who IMHO does a very good job of contextualizing each book and explaining the ideas contained within.

-----------

The other book I recently got I can't recommend enough if you study Chang Hon (ITF) TKD.

FGM Rhee Ki Ha's This is Taekwondo

I actually originally bought the book for the DVD-rom which is included. FGMR and a number of UK students have 3D motion captured all of the Taekwon-Do patterns and have created a program where you can view a working model and can zoom in / pan / 360 rotate / speed up / slow down etc. the figure whilst it goes through the form. An amazing tool if you are just learning or want to check something out. The DVD also contains several video lessons from FGMR on various aspects of each of the patterns and he explains all of the finer points.

The book itself is worth the price alone. Packed full of great photos and lessons from FGMR and he explains a lot of the history and technical pointers behind the patterns.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius