• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wing chun guys: favourite block

there are many blocks in wing chun which one is your favourite and why?

personally i lik the tan sao ... i dunno i think its really ez to do

and can block different kinds of punches...

wat about you????

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My favorite block would have to be the one that gets the job done. To adapt a feeling of nostalga towards a certain technique, will only allow you to preform that one.

The Tan Sau is a great block; however, it does not contain all the answers. Equal thought and practice should be given to all Wing Chun techniques.

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

ahhh, i'm gonna be a real pain and say that there are in fact no blocks in wing chun and that there are instead, a series of movements that change their form to suit the need. in most cases, the need is to intercept (or receive if you prefere) an oncoming strike.

tan sau is only tan sau for the duration of it GOING OUT to receive. once contact is made it is no longer tan sau. that's one of the things that a lot of people miss. when you ask a new kid to do a tan sau, they often just put their hand out into position, whereas a more experienced person would perform the tan sau MOVEMENT.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Here is the defenition of " Nostalgia"

Main Entry: nos·tal·gia

Pronunciation: nä-'stal-j&, n&- also no-, nO-; n&-'stäl-

Function: noun

Etymology: New Latin, from Greek nostos return home + New Latin -algia; akin to Greek neisthai to return, Old English genesan to survive, Sanskrit nasate he approaches

Date: 1770

1 : the state of being homesick : HOMESICKNESS

2 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition; also : something that evokes nostalgia

- nos·tal·gic /-jik/ adjective or noun

- nos·tal·gi·cal·ly /-ji-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Sorry I missed the ' i ' in " nostalgia"

In more simple terms it causes one to become loving of one techniuque and causes you to return only to that technique. Hence you will tend to rely on one technique. Thus limiting yourself, and possibly end up losing your encounter.

As far as what technique gets the job done, all depends on what is coming at me...

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

well, the most basic interception, block, hit move in wing chun is still kinda cool in it's simplicity: the the straight punch (yat gee chung chui). it can parry, it can block, it can intercept, it can hit, it can trap it can re-direct....

here's a fun game, name the blocking movements in sil nim tao.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

why did you have to go and ruin it like that...?

well, actually, that's not strictly true, cos well, blocks only exist at the moment of contact. so if it blocks, it is not a strike but an interrupted movement.

anyway, my intention was to see if anyone can name every single movement in the first form and name their uses...

Sorry. I am kind of like my Wing Chun, direct. Plus I thought it was an honest question.

We could pick one movement and name the applications for it but even that would be quite a task as each movement can have dozens of uses depending on the situation and the principle behind the application....

Now take a pak for example I would say that executed properly it is a block and a strike at the exact same moment as long as it is executed with power. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us