• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spinning attacks, help!

Rich_2k3

I need help with my spinning techniques (spinning backfist, spinning Roundhouse kick etc.) I'm having lots of problems. One problem is that in the spinning roundhouse kick i'm snapping the kick forward to late, like when i'm past the targets body and then carring on the spin. I'm also having troubles with the pivet its ok but could be better. Help me :-?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice is the KEY. You need to concentrate on the basics of the move. Break the moves into parts if you need to. Just concentrate on the spin with out a strike, etc.

The key to improvement is repetition. Practice, practice, practice.

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

It will also help to have a target (preferably a free standing bag) so that you have instant feedback as to your technique,i.e., over spin, under spin, etc.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you spin your head around first and look at your target. Then follow through w/ the rest of your body going down. If your foot starts to drop before you hit the target, you picked it up too early, whereas if you pick it up too late you will go too far. Watch where your knee is pointing as well.

On Spinning backfists, watch your feet position and try putting your fist against your target, then winding backwards to see where the position will be. It's easier to keep your back straight on a backfist, then it is on a kick.

With the spinning backfist, watch your angle and position relative to your opponent (in addition to all the other good advice you've been given here). A common mistake on spinning backfists is to take too wide an angle, which positions you too far away. Your opponant also has time to see what you are trying to do and is in perfect position to attack from your rear/oblique.

If you are using it in sparing, remember to set it up. Spining backfists work best off of something that turns him a little or momentarily checks his arm across his body.

Other than sweeps I don't use spinning roundhouses, so I can't help you there.

Have fun!

Edit: I forgot to tell you, practice changing the strike to a spinning elbow. They are extremely devastating, and useful if he tries to jam you :idea:

Freedom isn't free!