• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cross Training

I've been a Jiu-Jitsu practioner for nine years and have considered some type of cross training (not because I see any great deficiency in Jiu-Jitsu but because I'm interested in other arts). Unfortunately based on what I've seen learning another discipline (I've considered Wing Chun, Shalin Gung Fu, Karate, etc.) would require modifying (in some cases substantially) the basic principles I've learned and practiced for the nine years I've been training in Jiu-Jitsu (things like stance, mechanics of movement, striking and blocking, etc.).

My question is how does anyone really cross over and become proficient in a different style without unlearning the principles they've learned and repeated thousands of times?

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've learned Tang Soo Do, WTF TKD and TKD MDK. All three have similar techniques. Most of the kicks are the same. But as far as joint locks, well they are a bit different. But it didn't take me long to adjust.

I didn't learn how to fall or do throw till I did TKD MDK (except with a short stint with Judo and jujitsu). So there will be stuff you never did before. It might be small stuff, then again it maybe big stuff.

I believe in cross training. So, I say go for it :) Just don't get discouraged ;)

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

The key is not to unlearn; but, to simply learn.

Its the classic empty your cup scenerio.

It does not mean to throw out and disreguard what you know.

Simply leave enough room in your cup for more.

The fact that you have martial knowlegde already puts you ahead of the curve. You do not need to relearn the basic principles because the basic laws of physics, economy of motion, leverage, simplicity, perfect stucture, and additude never change. You will however have to apply that knowlege in a different manner than what you are used to. Thus giving yourself the illusion that you are doing somthing completely different to your previous style.

By making connections on a deeper level, it will not appear to be askew. Once again, the knowlege is a;ready in your head, now is the time to start building connections ( not comparrisons!) and the two will only compliment the other.

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

Previous posters have made some excellent points, however, my experience has been that certain things will be quite difficult. I took two hard styles Shuri Ryu Karate and Tang Soo Do and am now learning Muay Thai. An example if previous experience being a good thing...my round thai kicks are already pretty strong while still being able to be balanced. Example of previous habits being bad: I tend to still try to half chamber a punch when doing combos instead of keeping my guard up. And blocking in Muay Thai is much differnt than a karate/TSD block...sometimes when I see a punch coming and I am fatigued, I will revert and try to meet the punch out in front like a karate block.

Truth is you will have certain advantages and there may be some fundamentals that will have to change for you to be proficient in another art. An important question for you to ask yourself will be are you cross training or crossing over. If you are crossing over, then you should make every effort to throw out whatever doesn't match. Deep inside you will still know the core moves of JJ and will be able to use them if necessary. If you are going to truly be cross training i.e. training in something else while continuing to train in JJ, you will have a tougher time of it and should make both of your instructors aware of this.

Specifically to your situation, learning a primarily striking based art will go well with jj and there shouldn't be a whole lot of confilct. After nine years of JJ I would say go for it and have fun with the challenge.

GD

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

A hard/soft style like Goju Ryu would go extremely well with JuJitsu. Just my two cents :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I think you'll do great. 9 years of JJ I'm sure has taught you quite a bit. I think you'll adapt quickly even if things feel weird at first.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Thanks to all for your advise and insight.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

Just don't get discouraged. I been through three different arts. Yes they were all korean arts, but it was still weird at first. But it didn't take me long to adjust. With your experience, it shouldn't take long to adjust. If you want to cross-train, go for it. I'm all for it, dude. I'm a strong believer in cross-training (like I stated before). I wish you luck ;)

Laurie F

i dunno, but my instructor said, you shouldnt cross train too much because you'll end up forgeting movements.

and when your in a street fight, you'll panic and cant choose a block fast enough... whether you use a WC block or Karate..u know what i mean??

but thats juz wat my instructure says, maybe he just wants me to stay with him.

i personally cross train as well... i do WC and Vovinam (martial arts of vietnam) they are totally different. but like doing them.

i guess its up to you :kaioken:

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

well, the idea of wing chun is that you end up not having to think of what to do.

the endless hours of chi sau and free sparring is supposed to force the moves into you completely so that things happen without real thought.

think about when you drive along a route that you are extremely familiar with. how many of the actions you perform do you actually remember deciding on.

how many "now i'll indicate, slow down, check mirrors, turn wheel, apply throttle, feed steering, change gear...."?

after a while you'll find that when you aren't really paying attention is when you are actually most alert and responsive. there are times when a friend might be reaching across my front to get to something and my hand just goes out to intercept.

if only that happens during sparring...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."