• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido! My first class observation tonight!

After all the talk and study I have decided to give Aikido at a try. Tonight I am going for my first observation of the local school and am going to sign up for a free trial period.

The guy that will be my sensai is a 2 dan and also has belts in many other arts such as BJJ and he has studied western boxing and kick boxing and even Kuk Sul Won. He says that although in theory Aikido is 100 % defensive that it can be used to make the first strike without having to bait someone into coming after you. He also leans away from the whole Ki training aspects and focuses more on having his students be ready to use it (if they should have to) on the streets in real life situations. It is funny because there are 2 other instructors at the school that teach all of the exact same moves and so on but they do not do it in a way to emphasize self defense. (I talked to him for like 45 minutes on the phone.)

I just wanted to throw this out there and let everyone know I am finally in my new town and almost all the way moved in and ready to train. He also said that the quickest he has ever promoted a student from white to first Dan was 3 years and that student was going like every day so it does not sound like a mac dojo to me.

Anyway any thoughts of what I should expect for the first few months? Thanks all!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Make sure to not only stretch and loosen up your body, but your joints as well. Also work hard on learning how to break fall. Most people have trouble when it comes to break falls. The natural tendency will be to place your hand out in front to break your fall...........if you do this you'll more than likely break a wrist or arm. Food for thought, and good luck!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Ah yes, Aikido.

Some advice

1) Clench your teeth before you smack the deck... oh yea... and tuck your chin to yoour chest too

2) Don't go on deck with a full bladder (nothing worse than slamming into teh deck at 45 MPH with a full bladder... ok, so there are worse things but hey.)

3) TAP - At the first MOMENT you feel pain, tap. As a new student, your body will need time to get used to joint pain and manipulation. Hell, I've been studying Aikido for 7 years, and it still hurts liek a mofo.

4) If your school uses Hakama - ask your Sensei if you can hem the bottom up about an inch or so - it is VERY easy to get your toe caught in the lining of the Hakama and get itself broken - especially with a lot of footwork and hip action in play.

5) If you dont already have one, buy a Middle or Heavyweight Gi - or, at least make shure that you have traditional drawstring pants. I used a lightweight for about a month... that Gi (I keep all of my Gis... weird eh?) is worn almost through on the back.

6) When working with the Jo or teh Bokken, brasp the weapon at the very end - I once nailed myself in the sternum with the butt end of my Jo during a down-stike.... GOOD GOD... baseball sized bruise for a month.

7) Cut your hair short (-er) - this is optional of curse, but, the more hair you have, the more the sweat on your head and face will bother you. I've had my head buzz cut every 2 weeks for about 4 years now.

8) Stretching - stretch out THOROUGHLY before class begins. As with any sport (oops, Aikido is NOT a sport... "physical activity"), there is a risk of muscle injury. Aikido is a high paced, high energy activity. If you arent properly stretched before hand, you could very seriously injure yourself

9) JOINTS - many (if not all) techniques in aikido involve locking joints or using joints as a means to throw a person. Stretch your joints VERY well before class - especially if you are younger than 21. Until taht age, your body cannot fully produce the hormones that cue you in to serious pain right away. Keep your joints alive and intact now, or arthritis could hit you later. Pay particualr attention to the wrists, shoulders, elbows, knees and hips. Oh yes... the wrists... REALLY get these warmed up and stretched. Wait until you become teh Uke for a Kote Gaeishi throw, and you will see why

10) HAVE FUN

Hope this helped.

Black Belt (Or, Sash i should say) - 2nd Degree - Wu Shu & Wing Chun Kung Fu

Black Belt - 1st degree - Shuri Ryu Karate

Black Belt - 1st degree - Okinawan Kobudo

Black Belt - 1st degree - Tomikki Aikido

Black Belt - 2nd degree - Jujitsu

Tai Chi Chuan Practicioner

Muay Thai Practicioner

• 9 months later...

The guy that will be my sensai is a 2 dan and also has belts in many other arts such as BJJ and he has studied western boxing and kick boxing and even Kuk Sul Won.

It sounds like you may have found an excellent instructor. Some instructors sample multiple arts and only look for weaknesses in them.

Finding the strengths in different arts is the key. One of the best approaches for a beginner is to find a good instructor and then stick with him and imitate him. Set a goal for each advancement in rank and keep the long range goal of black belt.

Once you reach black belt level you will be ready to re-evaluate your goals and direct your path.

The fact the guy is involved in many styles can mean he is well rounded and good. On the other side he might be just inconsistent and having problems to stick with a certain style. Sometimes this qualification in many styles could have a nasty result ... that you didn't have the time to learn the things OK. Like chasing many rabbits and catching none.

After some classes our friend would be able not to say his sensei is good (takes more effort and knowledge to make such asumption), but if he likes being there. If he is treated respectfully (yes, instructors must respect their students too), is safe there and the coleagues are OK, he may continue and study the beautiful style that Aikido is.