• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah when you get better you'll be able to break the rhythms, or do just whatever you like. I break them often "unintentionally", ie. when im "on" back leg and i want to continue being able to kick with front leg for a while just bend with my knees without effect for distribution. The fact is, that if you just stand 50/50 your kicks will be slower (thus more predictable) since you have to first get the 100/0 distribution before you can start any kick. Its a compromize between "security" and rapid movement/kicks, besides if you get into streetfight TKD stylists should be very able to strike immidiately when the fists are raised and no bouncing will be necessary. You should always get away from the probing/defencive point of view when the opponents intention is to hurt you badly, complete attack is the best defence. Thats the point for our sparring anyway, to learn to see the opportunities and use them asap, i think 99% of people when they raise their fists will not pay attention to whatever might be coming _fast_ from down below.

Of course when i spar i can do whatever type of movement i like, the 80/20 is just "default" kind of thing for me. Its not even that visible, if you dont directly look the opponents legs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CrazyAZNRocker wrote:

I also want to mention about the bouncing that ITF does, which is the 80/20 20/80 bouncing. No personal attack on ITF of course, but to me, that constant weight distrubution with a rhythm has a very bad flaw. the problem with rhythm is just that, its rhythm, a pattern, once an opponent pattern is figured out, its easy to predict. Lets say the boucning the 80/20, 20/80, is at a rate of 2 bounces per second and the height of the bounce is about half and inch at its highest point, one half of a second you are on 80/20, At that point, one would expect attacks with the foward leg or arm, without any worry about the back leg, since the force of the downward motion when bouncing makes that leg very hard to use effectivly.

You are partially wrong and correct here. Very few ITF schools teach the 80/20 bouncing, just because it makes it hard to use one leg when almost your entire weight is supported on it. we teach the 50/50 in sparring, to have both feet ready and "sharp" to react on any attack

Sabunim 1st degree black belt NTN TKD (Chang Hun/ITF)

Just as a note:

If you look at the hyung as performed by the Taekwondo stylists on the Legacy CDROM set (they were chosen by Gen. Choi to perform the hyung) you will see that the sine wave motion is very slight indeed and I would probably consider that the students he chose were performing the patterns as he intended. Compared side by side to the sine wave motion performed by the ITU (http://www.taekwondo.to/patterns.htm) you will see that they do giant sine waves!

I personally use a small sine wave in order to drop my (considerable) body weight at the point of impact, once the foot hits the ground. Along with the hip twist and small striking area, you can get a fair amount of power...

Good post AnonymousCoward!!! (?)

Thats very informative. I have seen some very silly big sinewaves and think it's ridiculous. No wonder TKD gets such a bad name.

I totally agree with you about dropping into a stance. Whats all the slow up and down motion and 'accelerating' techniques about? Give that man a brick to break!

Cheers!

Bretty

Every time you bounce you lose stability from the rooted stance you began with. To bouce is silly.

breaking rythym can come from shifting the hips, dropping your stance etc..to remove both feet is asking for trouble. There is no power to be generated from it.

Power is generated from linear motion as well as the rotation of the hips. You could augment this with forward movement with the hips and this visually might be that sine wave you are talking about. I have never seen a video of TKD.....just here doing it.

I just reread a bit of the posts..if you are talking about a rocking motion towards and away from your oponent, this is a common element of sparring form...however the rear foot should rarely leave the ground, you are changing stance and maintaining stability not bouncing...