• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you mean the similar bouncing that boxers do when they spar? It differs amongst different styles, WTF sparrers bounce with both legs up, in ITF we distribute the weight continously from one leg to the other (like 80/20 - > 20/80 -> 80/20 and so on.) When you continously move, it makes harder to predict when you strike, its like continous bluffing. Also, it makes the kicks much faster, than static 50/50 distribution, since you have either leg on standby to strike all the time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sho-ju wrote:

What is the reason for the bounce in TKD forms and patterns?

If I misunderstood the question I must be a very stupid person...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/h0/nut.gif :wink:

Sabunim 1st degree black belt NTN TKD (Chang Hun/ITF)

If I misunderstood the question I must be a very stupid person..

Rofl, i did, goddamn i forgot to take my medication, sorry..:)

The bouncing in patterns is distinctive for ITF stylists and is called "sine wave". There may be several reasons for it, but i think the least is not, that it makes the forms MUCH harder to learn. It also makes them look more fluid and kinda relaxed.

I dont buy the increased power argument, since even that gravity speeds the fist up, also the movement direction changes nownwards and negates pretty much the gained energy on impact.

I think the "sine wave" thing came about because the ITF wanted to distance itself from Karate. If one reads interviews with Choi, he often became very agitated when comparisons between TKD and Karate were made. He even went so far as to claim Dan ranking from Funakoshi as an example of how he was able to "invent" a systemt that was "superior" to Karate. Unfortunately his claims of Dan ranking in Karate seem to be as groundless as his claims of having invented TKD.

What I have often found amusing is how the "sine wave" motion in the forms seems to follow the rythm of the "Macarena!"

:D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I would like to think it came about through exploration in an attempt to make techniques stronger. Given that the "sine-wave" really isn't all that old, and it wasn't going to go away in General Choi's lifetime, I'll be interested to see if it evolves or goes away.

Whether it works or not is a whole other arguement that I'm not qualified to weigh in on.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

The sine like movements isn't hard to learn, and when you've trained it a few years, you'll start wondering how other styles manage to hit hard when they don't have this movement (this is NOT ment as dirttrowing against other styles/arts)!!??!?!? The fact is that with this movement you can concentrate your mind on one thing: release all of your power when you are trough wth the movement and the fot "lands",

example: From a walkingstance with a low block (gunnun so palmok najunde/laine magki) you are about to go forward in another walking stance, but punching. So you bend your knees and reaches the lowest point when your feet are parallell. You strech them out on your way forward, and when you are getting close to the length etc that your stance should have, you "land" your foot at the same time as you're punching.

It's very difficult to explain... searh for videos of patterns to see it by yourself, or seek out a Chang Hun TKD school

Sabunim 1st degree black belt NTN TKD (Chang Hun/ITF)

I used to bounce in sparring...then i learned how to punch, LMAO, sorry couldn't help it

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

I personally don't like the bouncing, noticing that when i sparred people that bounced and when i used to bounce myself, instead of being unpredictable they were the exact opposite. When someone is bouncing, it may give more mobility and keeping you on the toes, however there is an ever so slight pause right before an attack because one must make the proper weight distrabution to make the attack effective. I also want to mention about the bouncing that ITF does, which is the 80/20 20/80 bouncing. No personal attack on ITF of course, but to me, that constant weight distrubution with a rhythm has a very bad flaw. the problem with rhythm is just that, its rhythm, a pattern, once an opponent pattern is figured out, its easy to predict. Lets say the boucning the 80/20, 20/80, is at a rate of 2 bounces per second and the height of the bounce is about half and inch at its highest point, one half of a second you are on 80/20, At that point, one would expect attacks with the foward leg or arm, without any worry about the back leg, since the force of the downward motion when bouncing makes that leg very hard to use effectivly. Now in the second half which would be 20/80, I could expect a kick from the back leg, or punch from either hands. One again, the one bouncing is limited because the use of the front leg is hammered down with the force of the bounce. Then you have the highest point, which in this example is a half an inch, and from there, its very difficult to use an attack effectively since one is not high enough to do a full effective kick, and punches would have little force in them, also since in the air ones balance can be knocked off with the slightest force. An opponent then could wait for that highest point, for the most ideal time to attack since it is the weakest part in the pattern, there for is easily disrupted. A weakest point is never ideal for anysort of fight, wether it be competition, or on the streets.

That is why i don;t like bouncing, of course i might be a little too analytical, but a rhythm can be easily memorized if one observes. What a fighter i think must do, is have the broken rhythms, that is what makes techniques truely unpredictable.

If we're starting to talk about the bounce sparring...

It's one of the quickest ways to move, The only reason it's frowned upon is because it lacks the of a solid stance. I 'bounce' quite a bit, though i focus more on moving forwards, backwards, left and right rather then up and down as you'd imagine (now thats silly!). My weight distribution can go 50/50, 10/90/ 70/30 or what ever i like in any direction. Only fighters on street fighter go 20/80 80/20, 20/80! :D

I don't bounce too high as i like to keep my feet as close as i can to the floor at all times to quickly change direction or stance.

The bounce uses a lot of energy and lacks power, but then i'm a points fighter!! :wink:

Bretty