• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryuu

Well, since this discussion may or may not have relevance to martial arts, I put it in the general chat section.

I was just curious as to why people chose the avatars they did, whether it just "looked cool" or there is something deeper.

Mine (as my handle is as well) is a play on words. Shorin Ryuu is the style of karate I take, with Ryuu being the technically correct way to romanize the Japanese word meaning style or school. But, since everyone says Ryu (just like everyone says do, not dou or Tokyo, not Toukyou) it is accepted as the standard English way of writing it. Ryuu can also mean dragon, so it could be Shorin Style or Shorin Dragon.

My avatar is just the characters Shorin Ryuu (the style) written left to right and Shorin Ryuu (the dragon) written top to bottom.

As far as inspiration goes, I just thought that dragons are cool...doesn't everybody?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a picture that I altered to fit me. It's a monkey doing a flying sidekick, wearing a blue gi (what I wore at the time) and a 1st degree brown belt. I really should update it to where the monkey's wearing pants and a black belt, and the background is transparent, but I haven't gotten to it. You can barely tell that it's a brown belt anyway.

The image started out as a monkey throwing a flying sidekick, wearing a red belt and white gi. Some quick editing in MSPaint was all it took :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Nothing too original here. It is an animated GIF of my the karate studio I train at and my picture.

I really need to come up with a better nick name than aes though... LOL

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

I don't have one, but I would like to have an avatar of the Moo Duk Kwan logo. Just because I did Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. Now I do Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan :)

EDIT: This thread inspired me to actually get one. I did :D And I got it to work .... WOOOHOOOO :)

Laurie F

Well my avatar is the KSW logo, my martial art and as for my screen name... it is a nickname that I picked up during high school as an exchange student to Finland.

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)