• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournement bo types?

aes

As some of you know I am learning my first Weapons Kata (Matsu Higa No Bo). I plan to compete with this kata once I perfect it.

In our dojo we have a training bo that we leave at the dojo and a tournament bo that you use at a competition.

Tournament bos are relatively expensive IMO for a chunk of hardwood. So what makes a good tournament bo? I figure it has t look good, be very straight etc, but is there something else?

Also I see different styles of bos. Some are tapered others are straight, different thicknesses too. Is this just a preference thing?

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the tournament ones tend to be more flashy or at least lighter (like aluminum or glow in the dark...stuff...).

The tapered end is just taking advantage of a smaller surface area for thrust techniques whereas non-tapered is heavier for training is one of the explanations I have been given. It might also have something to do with having more weight in the center as well, but that is just conjecture on my part. In the end, it might just boil down to personal preference nowadays.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Tapered bo tend to be thinner, lighter, and therefore faster. It's an easy way of fooling someone into believing you have more technique than you actually posess ;)

a "Traditional" staff would be about 6' and about 3/4" to 1" thick. Non tapered. Usually made of Oak or Ash in this country. You should be able to pick one up for $20. roll it on the floor to ensure it is not warped, just like you'd test a pool cue. Store it flat on the floor at home, and don't leave it overnight in your car, or it will warp and crack.

If you want, you could easily spend almost $200 on a staff depending on the materials :o

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Since you are going to a tournament, i would reccomend the light and fast shiny silver ones. they are the flashiest and make your speed look 2 times what it actually is.

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.

I think it's personal preference myself. When I competed with Matsu Higa, I used a tapered hardwood bo, and another tapered one made out of Canadian ash. The Canadian Ash bo was of course lighter. But other bo's I have used before were made of rattan. Now I use a waxwood bo. Fortunately I've been able to experiment with different types over the years, and for me it's just a matter of what feels comfortable to me at the time.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Thanks for the feedback and information everyone. It is greatly appreciated. :)

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• 1 month later...
i use a Graphite bo staff its light, i think its more for a torunemnt , its my first one and im learnin the basics with it i just saw it and got it maybe ill get a wood one next
ORANGE Belt(WTF) TaeKwonDo