• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wing chun boys: why dont we use hooks/ round punches etc.

some people say straight punches are betta and stronga, some people say that round punches/hooks are stronger...

which one is it, or is it up to me to decide for myself.???

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wing Chun is an art that applies "short bridge hand", get near them, walarr...

I've seen an article regarding Polish police officer applying the technique in wing chun into their unarmed combat training for that fast pace knock down oppenent.

When doing demos we always take someone big and strong and thinks they have a good strong punch out of the audience and let them hit us (using a focus pad or chest protector of cousre). They can usually hit pretty good. But then we take them aside for 5 minutes and introduse them to proper bone alignment and how to use the body, we then bring them back to punch again and the increase in power is amazing.

The straight punch when used properly is much more powerful than the hook or roundhouse. As you progress through the Chum Kiu and learn how to use shifting power the straight punch becomes even more powerful. When reaching the Biu Gee you learn about the powers of Biu Gee and how to use that in applying it to the punch and the punch becomes even more powerful and strong.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

• 2 weeks later...
not to be argumentative, or even show respect for the "man" but i bet it tyson hit you with a hook itd do enough damage to make wing chun practicioners look like little school girls. but hooks and developing huge bodies is not the philosophy of wing chun fighting either.

a broken arm throws no punches

and any woman in the street sticking her nails in your eyes is going to hurt...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

the point is: every martial art out there has its own philosophy, and of course, everyone who practices a martial art is convinced theirs is the best, and all the rules of it are universal. kung fu people would say that snap kicks, roundhouse, straight, or whatever, are the most powerful. thai boxers would strongly disagree and say their roundhouses are more powerful. blah blah blah, it matters who the fighter is, blah blah blah, but you know what i mean. in wing chun maybe straight punches are the most powerful, but in boxing theyre not. in a fight on the street, no one gets to use all that fancy stuff anyway. if you wnat to talk about two identical people with identical knowledge of fighting, i.e. how to hit and align the fists and all that, then a hook is still more powerful- simply based on the physics of the human body.

a broken arm throws no punches

everyone who practices a martial art is convinced theirs is the best

We tell our students that every art has it's own set of unique advantages and disadvantages. Wing Chun just has less disadvantages. Heh, heh, heh. We know our art is weak in a controlled tournament like environment where there are rules.

kung fu people would say that snap kicks, roundhouse, straight, or whatever, are the most powerful

Not us.

thai boxers would strongly disagree and say their roundhouses are more powerful

blah blah blah

in a fight on the street, no one gets to use all that fancy stuff anyway

There is no fancy stuff in WC only really cool stuff, as my SiHing likes to put it "Ahhhh very good kung fu."

two identical people with identical knowledge of fighting, i.e. how to hit and align the fists and all that, then a hook is still more powerful- simply based on the physics of the human body.

Illogical comparison. This could never happen.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

Using the appropriate attacking tool for each vital point comes to mind here. If a hooking punch is required use it, if a straight punch its required use it, if chain punching is required then use them too. It depends on what you’re trying to hit and from what angle and distance.

After all how “Powerful” does a punch have to be to become effective?

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do