• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wing chun boys: why dont we use hooks/ round punches etc.

in wing chun we only use linear strikes and elbow strikes, how come we don't use round puches or hooks. they would be a lot more powerful in a street fight.

( they're just more powerful altogether)

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you positive that round punches and hook are more powerful?

Structurally speaking, those punches are much weaker. Simply because you are using only arm muscle instead of bone-joint power. Bone- joint power allows for not only use of muscle but support from the grond and the rest of the body. With a hook you loose that solid ground, and rely on the strength of your arm.

Another reason Wing Chun does not normally employ hooks or round punches is simplicity. The shortest distance between two points will always be a straight line. It is two slow and a waste of energy to throw hooks and round punches.

However, if you look inside of Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, Bil Jee, and the Dummy forms. You will then realize that Wing Chun does in fact employ round punches, Hooks, and even upper cuts. Just not in the conventional way. They all have a Wing Chun twist to allow us to employ Bone- joint power with each technique.

Once again, in the end it is up to you to add or subtract to your Wing Chun. You are not bound by a sacred law that says you cannot change the way you do Wing Chun.

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

well, then there's the point that in order to throw a round punch you have to "cock" your arm back into position first, then swing it out again.

in the same time you could've already done a straight punch two or three times...

the usefulness of a punch is in it moving forward.

to regain its usefulness you have to bring the arm back. in wing chun philosophy, this is a wasted movement which is why we aim to be able to punch from any hand position without the need to "re-chamber" the punch...

sorry about the gun analogy but i couldn't think of a better way to explain

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

wcnavstar

i do understand to you on about... i guess i feel that by throwing a round punch in a street fight would be more effective. i dunno....

imagine this just say you were hugging your opponent or vice verser or just really close to your opponent. the only way to connect is by throwing a round punch b/c you are unable to throw an effective straight one b/c yo're unbalanced...

do you understand??

i also understand that straight punches are faster..but would it have an effect if you wer really close to the opponent?

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

Hence the WC method of training. We train to be effective at extremly close ranges. Another reason for developing one inch power. And if you look at Bil Jee, you will then note that WC employs hooks and crosses to some degree. We also use the outside diagonal punch which resembles a cross punch.

And if I were being hugged (bear hug from the front?) and I had my hands free to use. I would not waste energy throwing hooks to the head. I would merely concentrate on the nose, or stick my thumb deeply into an eye socket. You can also snap a neck from that position. Or even work the the throat. Elbow stikes are also good at close range, much faster too.

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

but remember boys and girls, don't try to use your elbows until you have trained them properly. you can seriously damage yourself if you don't.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Hooks give you access to targets like behing the jaw, the temple and the ribs. Even if they are slightly less powerful, slightly slower, some circumstances make them the right tool for the getting around the defenses.

Hooks use the whole body like any punch in boxing or most martial arts. Use your legs and your hips to throw your arm like a ball.

I do karate, so we avoid them too, but I practice them on my own because they can get around a guard. I'd rather throw a slower, slightly weaker punch to the jaw than a perfect straight punch to the guard.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

i think some people are misunderstanding some things here... hooks are more powerful than jabs no matter who throws them, assuming the thrower knows how to do it right. a hook (not a round house or whatever its called when you come in a full 90 degrees from his head) uses not only your arms, tricep and front shoulder to be specific, but a lot of your chest as well. a jap uses the same arms but less of your chest, and you dont have the rest of your body in the punch like you CAN with a hook (twist the hips and such.) ask any boxer, or anyone who throws hard punches- hooks are very powerful- more so than jabs without a doubt.

a broken arm throws no punches