• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt at 8 ???

Smiler

I saw this repot on the news about a 8 year who started shotokan karate 3 years ago and is now on his first Dan. I thought this weird :-? as most people who train for 3 year are only on a green belt. I though that people need to be training for at least 15 years before going for their first Dan. What do you think? :nod:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I saw that too. I hate that kinda crap. A karate black belt should be a role model, a person living like a true budoka, even when life shows it's worst. How can an 8 yr old be a real budoka?

First point: black belt in 3 years. In my school (which is not Shotokan) you CAN get your black belt in a MINIMUM of 3 years, though most don't. There is a lot to learn after shodan, however, and it will take another 10 years before yondan, when the student will have been graded on all of the kata in the style.

Second point: 8 year old black belt. If the child started at 5 years of age, it is theoreticallypossible for them to reach junior black belt, given a minimum of 3 years training. If an 8 year old is physically capable of passing the school's black belt test it would make me wonder about what it takes to be a black belt in that particular club, however; we don't have any 8 year old black belts.

Edited by karate_woman

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Has anyone a link to either the article in question or the school? I am having a veeerrryyy hard time believing that this is a legitimate Shotokan Dojo that did this!

Does anyone else recall the 5y.o "blackbelt" who was on Regis and kathy Lee a few years ago?

:roll:

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

He might be one of those "junior" blackbelts. I don't know too much about them, but it supposed to be equivalent to like adult 7th kyu or something like that and they have to do a whole lot more to get a "real" black belt. Or then again...the world is a funny place...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

At my shotokan dojo it takes a minimum of 3 and a half years. No one has ever done it in that amount of time, it took me almost 6 years. You have to be at least 16 to wear a black belt...if your that level before your 16 you simply wait.

15 years is a bit excessive for black belt. 3 years for someone with natural athletic talent and a good head on their shoulders is possible.

Cho Dan doesn't mean squat. I have one, and quite frankly, the buildup to it was overrated in my head. All it means is to this point you've done a fairly good job of reproducing what you've been shown to do. To keep moving up the ladder, you have to use your noodle a little bit.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

there is a black belt at my school who recently turned SEVEN. she is good. don't doubt people to their age, get used to it. kids and teens can be black belts too!

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

there is a black belt at my school who recently turned SEVEN. she is good. don't doubt people to their age, get used to it. kids and teens can be black belts too!

Last time I checked, Shotokan was a budo art. A child won't understand budo, definitely can't live a budoka life.