• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this a McDojang?

The class runs for an hour and thirty minutes. The first twenty to thirty minutes is warm up, stretching etc. Then there is a break for ten minutes. After that, its basic kicks and patterns. The last five minutes of the class is stretching.

There is about 40 people in this Dojang and 2 Instructors.

During the class, the 40 people are divided in two groups, one instructor instructing each group.

This is also a WTF Tae Kwon Do Dojang.

It is $10 USD to Join, and $25 USD a month.

Is this a McDojang?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You haven't given any information thus far that would indicate a McDojang. The quality of the instruction, and whether or not you're advancing because you have the required skills or simply to give the instructor grading fees would be a better indication. Your training fees don't seem high, but I believe that even if the fees were over $100 per month it wouldn't indicate McDojo if you were getting good quality instruction - sometimes it costs A LOT for the instructor to rent the building space, for one thing.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

How many here take a break in the middle of the class? I've never seen that before.
We don't normally

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

How many here take a break in the middle of the class? I've never seen that before.
We don't normally
We don't either, but then again our classes are only 45 minutes to an hour long. If they were 1.5 hours each, I'd want a break too! :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

We don't take breaks, but we are allowed to have water. My instructor is a health freak. He told us that being well hydrated helps the muscles.

As far as Mcdojo/Dojangs, read this:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 In this situation (in the thread) I found a new school (the one I train at now).

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

This sounds like a perfectly normal class. Basics and fundamentals will get you a lot further than tornado kicks and kama forms. $25 is more than reasonable in just about any metropolitan area.

No offense intended, but what exactly makes you think this is a "McDojang"? Did something give you a bad feeling? Do you have a great deal of martial arts experience to compare this to?

Again, this isn't so much directed at you, but it seems like (here I go again) this phrase is being thrown around to the point where people with little no experience are coming in with absolutely no idea of what the word means and applying to just about everything. Every freakin message board tosses it around to basically define every school in town that is... well, not their school.

I guess I'm getting a little irritated, but if people are using the term in such a way that they are describing the exact opposite of a mcdojang, then maybe for the good of all new people on the board, we should stop throwing this meaningless phrase around.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.