• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Karate

Foxy Chick

Did you start because your friend joined?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Did you start because your friend joined?

• Yes
    • No

My friend Smiler (nickname)has been going to karate for about two months. :karate: I was going to start as smiler wanted me to start but i dont know what to expect.Please explain the course of a lesson! :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It is difficult to explain the course of a lesson, as I'm not sure what style you are doing, and even within styles different dojos do things differently. You would be best to ask your friend how things go in a typical class, and go and check it out for yourself.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Well I didn't start karate 'cause my friend joined (although when I decided to start I managed to convince some friends to come along with me 'cause I was too much of a wimp to go myself...they all only lasted a few weeks each, though, so I ended up just having to tough it out on my own).

If your friend has joined and is enjoying it, it wont do you any harm to go along and see what the class is like. You have an advantage to another beginner student in that you have a friend who will be there with you and can prepare you for that class before you go.

Good luck! :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

My answer was a yes but it is a bit more than a friend. I joined because I wanted my daughter to get into it and this was the motivation for me to join. I have wanted to all my life but never seriously looked into it until now. :-)

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

I didn't start karate because of friends, but I did have two friends join because I did. Sadly, they did not last a year. I guess it just wasn't for them.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

i almost made my friend start with me b/c i was scared. but i am SO glad she didn't. i love going by myself and i have met new friends. anyways i think it would be good for you to start if you really want it. don't just do it for her, do it for yourself!

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

I started martial arts out of sheer desperation to get over my shyness and sheer lack of people skills :( . I didn't play well with others so I went for something I could do and conquer alone. I will always be grateful to my first teacher (Thank you Herb Nye!), who believed in me and inspired me to continue on this journey. The lessons I have learned along the way have enriched my life and allowed me to take on the challenges I never thought would be possible. For some, martial arts is just a system of self defense and a way to fight, for me it was a lifesaver and has truely become my way to live.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/