• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapons

Smiler

Are weapons better than pure karate?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are weapons better than pure karate?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
They compliment each other. You need to know both. I wouldn't say one is better than the other but, both are necessary.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

Most karate systems incorporate traditionial weaponry. The name karate wasn't officially adopted till 1936 anyway and its first use in published literature was in 1906. Before then, it was known as Toute or simply Te, meaning Chinese hand or hand. It was also known as OkinawaTe as well.

Kobayashi Shorin Ryu uses Yamane-Ryu for weaponry.

I agree with jmy77. Weapons training is useful for using "weapons of opportunity" that resemble the weapons you have trained with. Plus it is easier to defend against a weapon empty-handed if you know how to use it.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is good to learn open hand as well as weapons. Weapons are just an extension of your hand, so without them, you can still defend yourself. Part of defending yourself against weapons is learing them to know how to defend against them.

I guess it depends on the situation as to why one would be "better" than the other.