• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The most important stuff for beginners in Shotokan?

Sibylla

So now that I have started Shotokan, I am being taught all kinds of stuff that I can practise at home. But what is the most important to get right at first? Stances maybe? Movement..? "Hikite"? Blocks? Reverse punch?...

The instructor doesn't allow water breaks (or any breaks at all in class) is this common?

I get this pain under my feet (it is not the blisters) it is more the kind of feeling when you try to go inline skating for the first time or something (I am a bit flatfooted)...hopefully this will pass... :cry:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now that I have started Shotokan, I am being taught all kinds of stuff that I can practise at home. But what is the most important to get right at first? Stances maybe? Movement..? "Hikite"? Blocks? Reverse punch?...

Ask your instructor, differnt people want different things.

The instructor doesn't allow water breaks (or any breaks at all in class) is this common?

I hope not, its a dumb idea. How long are your classes?

I get this pain under my feet (it is not the blisters) it is more the kind of feeling when you try to go inline skating for the first time or something (I am a bit flatfooted)...hopefully this will pass... :cry:

Hard wood or worse right? See if you can wear shoes (Ones designed for martial arts), you're feet and knees will thank you for it if you can.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I hope not, its a dumb idea. How long are your classes?

One to one and a half hour...it is OK as long as drink a lot before class, but I dread the really hot days...

Hard wood or worse right? See if you can wear shoes (Ones designed for martial arts), you're feet and knees will thank you for it if you can.

Some sort of lineoleum. And I am used to doing MA on thick mats. I'll ask him about the shoes and present it as some sort as medical problem. If I just say that the soles of my feet are hurting bad, he'll ask me to though it out..

Of course your feet hurt! Over time, this will ease as you begin to devlop calloused little footsies like the rest of us have. :)

What is the most important thing to practice? EVERYTHING!!

Breaks in class??? You are kidding, right? Hydrate yourself before class instead! In 22 years of Karate (including Shotokan) I have NEVER had breaks during class. Drink, pee,and poop before please! If you feel you might pass out, then sit down (with permission) . If you feel you may vomit, please do so off the floor!

:D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

We rarely have H2O breaks either... And our classes are about 2 hours with no A/C. Class is in the evening, and you had all day to get hydrated :)

I probably drink about 150-200oz of water during the day in the summer, and at least another 50-100 after class. Personal responsibility is advocated. If you feel sick, tired or hurt, bow out. Signs of heat stroke/exhaustion are closely watched for as well.

As for home practice, when I first started, I would try to think about the last thing the instructor said in class, and try to focus on that, in the hopes that they would be looking for it the next class (hint, they were!) Stances, like just about anything else will come with time, so if you feel the need to practice at home, practice whatever you have room for and feel like doing.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

He-he..I already have my callouses...it is more of a burning sensation in the muscles under the foot and it makes me do all sort of contortions when the instructor doesn't see me...I hope it passes.

So I guess I am in the badass divison of martial arts now...I even have a japanese instructor that is :kaioken: ...he scares me a bit.

Sounds pretty "old-school" to me. :)

The angry instructor persona can go a long way for some personalities. It pushes you and helps you deal with confronation. Other people are completely turned off by this method.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

the important thing to remember as a beginner at a "traditional" school is that your job is to adapt yourself to the style, not to expect the style to adapt to you.

:)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

He-he..I already have my callouses...it is more of a burning sensation in the muscles under the foot and it makes me do all sort of contortions when the instructor doesn't see me...I hope it passes.

This may come back to haunt you later on if you don't do something about it. Bare feet on hard floors is a bad thing.

So I guess I am in the badass divison of martial arts now...I even have a japanese instructor that is :kaioken: ...he scares me a bit.

Where your instructor comes from is irrelevant. If that is the environment you want to train in then be prepared to do some things that aren't good for you.

The body needs water, not just before and after. If you can do a 90 - 120 minute class without water you either do need that water and just aren't getting it, or not training right.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

One, you have to judge on how long the brakes are I know in are dojo classes can range from 1-3 hours depending on if it is advanced class or all rank, and for beginners I personally think the most important thing you need to first practice is block after all Karate is supose to defend yourself so what is the point if you cannot even defend yourself but you can sit in a horse stance or etc