• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournaments?

Hi

:argue:

tournaments are fun but you need a high belt to have a better go at getting 1st place, i do trodai karate we have 10 belts with white, we enter tournaments at are 7 belt because we know alot of the kick i am going to enter a tournament when i get my 7 belt i have got 1 belt left.

L8er :karate: :up:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never attended a AAA nationals. To be honest, not to sure what they are. I'll be checking in on them though. I stick to two organizations, USANKF and USAKF.

http://www.usankf.org

For karate, they are the national olympic commitee. As for saying I'm good, well, I hold my own. I've fought against some of the olympic team members and they are good. So compared to them, ehh, I'm OK :lol:. I guess that's a matter of perception. I feel the minute I think I'm "good" I start loosing my edge. I'm a Yondan (4th).

WILKO9999

You don't have to have rank in order to place well in a tournament. You just need to practice. If you think you train hard, remember.....there is always someone out there training harder. Just go out and have fun :) and gain experience. That's a big difference in the "game" of tournaments.

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

If you're interested in the style of fight the USANKF has, here is a link to a video. The only video I've found so far.

http://yourstruly.ch/karate/movies/nationals2002.html

No...it's not me. I'm 6'4" 200lbs. These guys are small. I did see the NASKA, website. I don't think that's for me. I hate wearing full body armor. I like a mouth piece, hand pads and a cup. That's it.

Oh and one more thing. The guys in this video are black belts. That just wear red and blue belts so it's easier for the judges to call points and make a distinction.

"No Excuses"

Hmm what belt are you Isshinryu Man?

And can you tell me so nice combos for kumite that I could later use?

He said he was a yondan...which is 4th degree black belt.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

*Rei*

Yes....I am a head instructor at my Master's dojo.

As for combinations, it's rather difficult to explain moves online. I'd much rather explain, correct and explain again in person. I feel sharing a technique or two would be more harmful then helpful especially if you learn it incorrectly.

A word of advice though. Start out by choosing 3 moves you do very well and that are practical on the mat. Make those your base strikes. For instance, my base moves are reverse punch, flip kick (lead leg) and sweeps (terminology my be different for you). From there I work other moves in when the opportunity arises and a target opens. Don't overwhlem yourself with 20+ moves, when it only takes one to strike and/or counter an opponent.

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

yea! another isshinryu student! its about time man, i was feeling crowded amongst all the goju-ryu and shorin dudes. i havent got the chance to compete yet but will this august.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

yea! another isshinryu student! its about time man, i was feeling crowded amongst all the goju-ryu and shorin dudes. i havent got the chance to compete yet but will this august.
I'll try not to take that personally ;-)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse