• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournaments?

You call him your master? oy...

Yes...He trained me and holds the title of Master. I treat him with the same respect I ask of my students. He has, is and will always be my "Master". :)

As for being only a few Isshinryu karateka here, oh well. Chance to learn from others..... :brow: :brow:

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own I suppose.

When one insists that I call them "Master" is when I find a new organization. Something about calling another man master doesn't rub me right. We like to say that we aren't calling them master as if we were thier students, and refering to thier proficiency of thier art, but I'm certain that he who is being called master experiences some degree of gratification. In addition, as soon as I refer to one as master I feel I am automatically placing them as superior.

We like to say that we aren't calling them master as if we were thier students

This is meant to read

We like to say that we aren't calling them master as if we were thier servants

in my opinon its really up to the student weather or not he calls one master, the teacher should not have the power to dictate it.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

To each his own I suppose.

And their style. Point taken, but not all titles are to inflate egos. In the ranking system the term "Master" is an english translation from that of Renshi. Renshi is a japanese termonology for "Master of Training". This usually falls upon 4th, 5th and 6th degree black belts. Although my Master holds the rank of 7th dan and is now classified as Kyoshi or Mentor, the title has somewhat stuck.

Yes the ranks are also still referred to as Sensei. Hope this makes a little more sense as to why I call him Master. It is in no way a belittling experience, but a way of respecting his knowledge as a "Master of Training". :) :)

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

"Master of Training" isn't so bad. Perhaps we should call them "Renshi" instead of master. After all, "Master of Training" is a bit much to say. I don't call my Sensei Sensei either. I just call him Sir or Mr. X. Someday I may be an instructor and own my own dojo. If that day come, I will not bring any japanese culture into my training. We will use english words and my students will insist they call me Patrick, not master or sensei or sir or Mr.

perhaps it is my own rude opinion, but i will, then, make a note to never train in your halls smr. it is not fair, give credit were credit is do, your style is not truely your own for you did not forge it and have no right to intentionaly suck it dry of its cultural aspects.
I think that is a bit extreme. For a counterpoint from someone who actually lived in Japan for a couple of years, and speaks Japanese, I refer you to http://24fightingchickens.com/shotokan/101/25_terms.html

A quote from the bottom of the above page:

"Almost no one takes karate lessons to learn Japanese. This whole topic is probably off-topic for most readers, who think, "I just want to punch and kick, not learn a foreign language and run around arguing about what the words mean." Good for you. You probably want to take up karate to have fun, and using Japanese is not fun. So, avoid it if you can. If you can't avoid having to use it because of your teacher, just do what you have to do to fit in, if you can stand it. If you are interested, take up the language for real. If you aren't, just avoid preaching to others about Japanese terms and concepts and you will make the world a better place."

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Isshin ryu Man, have you had difficulty with Kata judging due to unfamiliarity with your Kata? When I have judged Kata in the past, I have often had trouble adequately evaluating Okinawan stylists. Now that I are one ( :) ), I have realised that some things I "took off" for, such as hip rotation, stance height, etc, were actually examples of proper technique. :(

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!