Tournaments?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isshin ryu Man, have you had difficulty with Kata judging due to unfamiliarity with your Kata?

When I first started judging it was a bit difficult. When I judge, I'm not too interested whether or not it's a black belt kata or a beginner kata. I look at stance, power, focus and to some degree attitude. You'll probably notice that there are many katas that are seen in many different styles with their own interpretations.

I will say I lean towards the traditional katas, so the flashy jumps and kicks in the "sport" katas never "awe" me. The only real difficulty now is when I'm presented with a Chinese style (Kung Fu, Shoalin, etc.). They are much more "circular" or fluid then a linear karate-ka kata. So not having a deep understanding of their normal stances, it makes for a tough call.

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

Woops...I miss read your question. No I don't think I have too much trouble with katas. Yes I occasionally have difficulty competing, but luckily many of the tournaments I attend have an Okinawan division which makes life easier :D.

*Rei*

"No Excuses"

iv been to 2 tournement and i got 1st place in spariing kata and manditory kata in both of them. i like to spar in tournements it gives me a rush when i whoop the other karate kas a$$.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate