• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some stuff

devilthaiboxer

First of all does anyone know what a sokuto dachi stance is.It is in my next grading and i have never heard of it or seen it,could you please give a breif description of what it looks like.Also there is a stance called tsuri ashi dachi :-? it says crane stance but i dont know what one of them is.Could you breifly describe that in the same way.thank you

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sokuto is the knife edge of the foot. It describes a striking surface rather than a stance.

Crane stance is a fun stance to get stuck in during class when sensei stops to help someone or stops to tell a story. You are standing on one food with the other one tucked behind the knee. Some styles do the stance with the knee raised hi and the foot in front of the body.

The side kick is called sokuto geri, in my dojo anyway! I know the side kick uses the knife edge of the foot, but it can also be focused more on the heel, so I thought "sokuto" referred to "side." If that holds true, then I would guess sokuto dashi is a side stance, presumably feet parallel, face & guard turned to the side.

Regardless, I think it would make more sense to direct these questions at your sensei or sempai. If you find out it's not just terminology confusion and you've never practiced these stances before, you'll want them to help you go over them before your grading.

And this is why I like my school for only using english names for techniques. It's hard enough when they tell you to do a combo, and you're standing there trying to remember the name of each technique in english! ... or blindfolded. I find that every sensei has their favourite way of putting the students through hell.

Like, hopping roundhouse kicks around the dojo just to see how long we can do it with good form, and laugh at how our faces look while we do it. Heh.. :P

Terminology confusion and the differences in Japanese and Okinawan terminology is one of the reasons I started using english terminology to record written descriptions to the kata I was learning. When I first started keeping records I tried to use the most precise Japanese terminology I could. But, after I started doing a bit of research and seeing how different the so called correct terminology was I began to use just straight precise english desriptions. And if they are a bit wordy at times I think that is better than a few short confusing Japanese words. I keep my records for myself and it is much easier to be able to go to something I did three years ago and be able to see clearly what I meant than it did when I was confusing myself with terminology.

chh

no, 'to' indicates cutting edge although I havent the exact translation. it helps to look at other jap words if in doubt to help with context. in this case you have tanto and possibly you may have seen ninja-to. there are some odd bladed weapons too with to suffix.

soku, is used in reference to many foot strikes in different directions and with different parts of foot. sokushi ken and sokugyaku ken for instance.

hth

rich

Ok... I couldn't resist playing Devil's advocate here :)

How does the 'to' bit work with 'kakato' for the heel? - that is not a cutting edge and works more like a sledgehammer than a knife ;) As in mae geri kakato (kata enpi), yoko geri kekomi (side thrust kick) and kakato utoshi (axe kick).

Let the arguments begin! :D

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

To means a dagger or a curved sword with a single edge.

Other examples:

shuto (knifehand)

ura shuto (one name for ridge hand)

LOL! Knew someone would bring up heel but my educated guess would be that there is another character 'to' or that the Japanese have decided to call it a 'sword something' although would beat me why. Anyone here know the answer to this one?

Regards

Rich

Ok... I couldn't resist playing Devil's advocate here :)

How does the 'to' bit work with 'kakato' for the heel? - that is not a cutting edge and works more like a sledgehammer than a knife ;) As in mae geri kakato (kata enpi), yoko geri kekomi (side thrust kick) and kakato utoshi (axe kick).

Let the arguments begin! :D

Andy.

The kanji for Kakato is inclusive,and does not contain the ideogram for 'sword.'

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!