• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan, Self Defense?

MMouse

Go with whatever feels right. Check out a couple styles that sound interesting and you'll figure it out.

Any school worth its time will offer a free introductory class.

Use that to your advantage and find a place you're comfortable with. Otherwise, you won't stick with it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
the only thing i don't like about shotokan is the same thing i dont like about my own style

the use of block over recieve

block - then strike

rather than block/counter (which i said in some other thread also)

In time you will learn that every block is truly an attack trap grab ect.....

It just takes time and practice. :karate:

shotokan is effective in dojo and street

It could be it however size tends to be the greater factor in a physical altercation. Generally the more size and strength the person the greater chance of success. There are exceptions yes, but when you are 6 inches shorter and outweighed by 50 or more lbs. avoidance is the best art to practice.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

With time Shotokan will be very good for SD. Now in 2 weeks your not going to know a lot but 2 years, 10 years, etc you will be fine. Its not a quick fix.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

With time Shotokan will be very good for SD. Now in 2 weeks your not going to know a lot but 2 years, 10 years, etc you will be fine. Its not a quick fix.

So why is a stlye that is taught quicker/more effectivly considered a "quick Fix"?

The way my Sensei teaches me is using the following statement "A block is a strike and a strike is a block". If someone goes to punch you and you dodge and kick them in the stomach, do you believe you blocked their punch? I do.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

TJS

How many times do MMA guys spar in the first 2 weeks?

Normal Shotokan students don't spar until mid ranks if then usually.

Quick fix meaning learing to fight now not later...

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Well I wasant neccesarily Talking about MMA.

In Krav Maga you dont spar right away..I still belive it is proabably taught in a quicker manner.

Yeah Shotokan and tradition arts have well thought out SD applications but it takes a while to learn them. Its not a fault in the style as much as it is in the back of the book. Ch 50 for us. As to where other styles like MT teach it in Ch 1. Just depends what book you read.

you cant join shotokan or prolly any stle of karate and expect to know how to fight in 2 weeks or 2 months you wont know enouph to fight in the street if you do fight you will loose. shotokan takes time to learn i think its better to take the time and learn basics after basics instead of going straight to learn how to fight. practice makes perfect you have to know basics and kata helps alot on your basics and form thats why shotokan is so up on kata. when you get to a green belt you start to learn power sped and ect. green is considered mid leval you start to spar you may spar earlyer also but when you get in purple brown belts is when your good. that is where im at 3rd kyu brown and i have come along way. i have developed so much power shotokan is all about power its a very powerfull style. but it takes time years of time to get good to beable to fight. shotokan teaches you to be a fighter and you will become one just stick with it. remember all shotokan karate kas karate has to come natural in a fight if it dosent you have lost the fight.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate