• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan, Self Defense?

MMouse

Hi all. I am new to the forums, but I have been browsing around for a little while. Seems like a good bunch of people here. I studied Taekwondo for 2 years in high school and did a little boxing. I am looking to begin studying martial arts once again.

My question is how effective can shotokan be for self defense? I understand that the effectivness of every art has alot to do with it's teaching and practicing. What I would like to know is does it include any sweeps or any throws at all? I have heard from various sources that is did. Once again, I know different schools would teach slightly different. But does the true traditional arts include these?

Thanks for any responses .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Right on. I will have two schools here which teach shotokan. I will have to look into both. I am very curious though as to whether traditional shotokan taught these techniques. I know there is a fair number of schools which add them in.

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of shotokan. Before I continue, let me just say that I mean no offense to any practicioners and I think Shotokan is very good for spiritual and mental development. However, in its founder's own words (Gichin Funakoshi), he greatly set about simplifying its style and made it focus more upon spiritual rather than pure self-defense.

One good indicator of a school is its punch...If it insists on a full-twist punch where the fist ends up parallel to the ground...don't choose it. A style that emphasizes a 3/4 turn is the best, although a vertical fist is pretty good, but not quite there. I'm not sure, but I think Shotokan does a full twist punch...I've posted all my thoughts on the punch in the strategies and tactics forum.

Anyways, regardless of style, the main driving force is the instructor. You can't really judge a style by its name, but you can judge the instructor by what you see, observe, and ask. I say try for it and see how it is (even though I dislike Shotokan) and it might be good.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

the only thing i don't like about shotokan is the same thing i dont like about my own style

the use of block over recieve

block - then strike

rather than block/counter (which i said in some other thread also)

• 3 weeks later...
keep with shotokan, it takes a a while but its worth it shotokan karate is a very effective self defense MA i have done it for 2 years and im a 3rd kyu brown belt. shotokan is effective in dojo and street

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate