• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mawashi Geri Technique

CheekyMusician

I seen a picture of Kanazawa Sensei performing mawashi geri. He had has toes splayed out in the picture (all his toes were pulled apart from one another with gaps in between the toes).

Does anyone else do mawashi geri this way? I've never seen it being performed like this before, but I'm still a beginner, so any advice on this would be appreciated.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From the description it sounds like he is intending to strike with the ball of the foot. This basic footshape can be used to target specific areas that would be unaccessable when using the top of the foot as the striking surface, i.e., collarbones, solar plexus, nose, etc. I practice both ways. Hip rotation can also be different depending on the height and angle of the kick.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 1 month later...
As part of my requirments last week to get my green belt, I needed to do a Mawashi with the ball of my foot... let me tell you, I was a little worried. I was worried that I wasn't going to curl my toes back enough, but in the end, it was a wonderful break, if I may say so :wink:

Adam

Traditional Japanese Goju Ryu Karate

Mike Lasci's Northern Martial Arts Centre

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle

Master Morio Higoanna splays his toes when he kicks. I think that this is due to these guys training so much in gripping the floor with their feet.

When gripping the floor you splay your toes and grap the ground like you would with your hand! Erm that doesn't really make much sense does it?

I can do it, Sensei can't!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"