• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The big age difference

I was going to start Kendo but theres not any place around here. So now I'm leaning towards Tang Soo Do. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but the instructor did return my email. Tang Soo Do has sparked my interest so I'm probably going to join up. The only problem is that I have always trained and competed with other teens, I'm 17. I found out that I would be in the adult class at that dojo. I have a feeling that I'll feel out of place. Should I let that bother me?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
If that is their policy, aren't there other teens in the adult class? Regardless, if that is where they think you belong, then you belong there. I was younger than you (15) when I started training in adult classes, and it never crossed my mind.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

i take the adult class and i am 15. you will fit in and feel comfortable eventually. there are going to be other young adults in your class most likely right?

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

Our "adult classes" actually consist of relatively few adults. The teenager-adult ratio is something like 5 to 1 if not more.

Try going over and watching a class or two, and see how many teenagers there are. Even if there aren't that many, don't let that get in the way of training. If you really love the style, and everyone treats you with respect, what should it matter how old your classmates are?

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Thanks I'm going down there next week to check it out. If I like the class then I'll join no matter what ages are there. I just don't want to feel like the little kid that gets dragged everywhere with their parents if you understand what I'm saying.

I've seen many martial arts schools start their adult classes as young as 13yrs. old. For the same reason MG pointed out, the ratio between actual adults and teens, there's usally more teens to adults.

Also sometimes it may even have to do with size of the person and not the age. Teens tend to be more suited to training with adults than the younger kids based on size.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia