• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grading

Smiler

I started shotokan karate a few months back a i have my first grading coming up soon :bawling: and i dont know what to expect :( that a at my last lesson my teacher said i may double garde :kaioken: so if you could tell my what to expect i would very grateful. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, I'll state that I don't take Shotokan, but I do take a form of karate (Goju), so I have to be general in my response.

You can expect to do the kata you have learned, plus basics, possibly bunkai, and perhaps some form of sparring or ippon kumite. If you are studying the history of your art, you might have to answer a few questions on that. If you use japanese words in class, you might be expected to know some of them - particularly those pertaining to your techniques. Basically anything you'd be expected to do in class (for your belt level) is fair game. Sometimes "surprises" can be thrown in to see how you'd respond, but I'd be surprised if they added any at your level.

A double grading would mean you have learned the techniques and skills required to an extent sufficient to pass two belt levels (eg grading for both yellow and orange at the same time). Sometimes double gradings also refer to grading in two arts (eg karate and kobudo) at the same time.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

generally at lower belt levels - I found that yellow tip to white belt grading was all Basics, stances, simple combos, first kata.

yours might be different (ps i dont take shotokan)

Well you probably wouldn't be expected to face the grading if you weren't ready for it, so keep that in mind and don't get too nervous.

In my class we usually get walked through our grading a few times in the weeks coming up to the grading and I got walked through mine before I actually done it too last time (but that might have just been because the assistant instructor had some spare time before my sensei graded me and just took pity on me :lol: )

If you're uncertain of what'll be in it, ask your instructor. They shouldn't tell you you're going to sit a test without telling you what will be in it, and they'll probably be more than happy to talk you through it all before the grading.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

your gading will be most likely be based on what you do daily in class. don't worry; if your instructor didn't think you were ready, you wouldn't be testing.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

I've been to two dojos. In my current dojo the first belt test is basically 2 to 4 hours of hell, consisting of everything you've done in class. In my previous dojo (was wado-ryu) it was mostly sparring, almost full contact... with one kata to perform and some drills.