• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why put down Traditional Styles of MA?

Are all Traditional Martial Arts outdated?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are all Traditional Martial Arts outdated?

• Are Mixed Martial Arts superior in every way?
    • Do both balance out in the end?
    • Are Traditional Martial Arts superior in every way?

"The modern equipment replaced old make shift equipment that served the same purpose, the techniques are the same."

That is the problem. The techniques don't change. Feudal Japanese warriors did not have to worry about someone coming in and punching like a boxer, because the samurai did not punch like boxers. There has to be growth and adaptation to the needs of today, or you practice a dead art.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1OneFighting how would you know what a samurai punched like. I don't think you understand the principle behind Budo Taijutsu, it works with any kind of attack. Boxing punches are still going for the same targets, head and body. Go find out if it's dead, go to a Bujinkan school and attack one of them.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch if you really did use the same training methods as MMA you would use the same techniques, you would be doing MMA regardless of what you call it.

So if you are doing MMA what are you arguing against? But then again what you are doing is not really "Traditional" if you are using the term in the way most people mean it.

However I have a hard time believing you are, because if you where you wouldn't be arguing this.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Ahhh... Treebranch you make a wonderfully insulting point. But you see, no matter what the style, there is no limitation to the human body, at least not one we have reached in our current human form. If one who practices Jiu Jitsu attacks one who practices Aikido, then no matter what, it should always be the one who is more fit and in a better state of mind that wins. But then there are some forms that focus on one point of battle. However ,you cannot compare a Boxer with a Blackbelt because traditional boxers are only trained to do one thing! One must focus and train himself, not be trained, one all aspects of body and life.

Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul.

Well I'm glad we are finally getting somewhere with this debate, that's what I've been trying to explain this whole time. I don't think those training methods are really anything new. Some TMA's train hard, some train soft and some have a balance of the two. We train hard and soft, just like you. When you say MMA it typically means Muy Thai, and BJJ, we don't study that. I think people are using the term Traditional in a negative way, like Traditional=Dogmatic. Traditional meaning the techniques taught are traditional, not the training methods. Budo Taijutsu is very open to innovations in training methods. Some of the techniques, especially the weapons techniques I'll probably never use, but there fun as hell. I hope I wasn't too much of an a hole to you, I'm pretty passionate about MA's so I apologize if I was. When you first see these techniques they seem really weird, but when you have them done to you it's eye opening. The amount of power you can generate with these techniques is really surprising. My teacher has studied almost every popular MA you can think of, he's very knowlegable. I was skeptical about it myself until I went to a class. He had me hold a bag and he punched it like a boxer, I could feel it through the pad, it was hard. He did a karate punch, really powerful strike. Last he did a Taijutsu punch and I was thrown back and fell to the ground. I had never experienced anything like that, so I started training. It's a really brutal and effective MA, I hope one day you will try it out. With your experience you should pick up on the concepts pretty quickly.

He had me hold a bag and he punched it like a boxer, I could feel it through the pad, it was hard. He did a karate punch, really powerful strike. Last he did a Taijutsu punch and I was thrown back and fell to the ground. I had never experienced anything like that, so I started training.

No offence, but that is a really dumb demo...

Get a boxer to punch like a boxer and a karate guy to punch like a karate guy. Better yet a whole bunch of each.

I could do the same demo and show which ever one I wanted to was more powerfull. Doesn't prove a thing.

And power isn't everything. The jab is the most common punch in boxing, and this is not because of its knockout power.

Boxers are probably the best punchers in the world. Why? That is all that they do, they train to knock people out with punches. If any other method of punching could do that better they would adopt it.

So there is a lot of money in it for you if you start teaching this method to pro boxers...

Andrew Green

Tae Bo is great, but not because it teaches functional self-defence skills.

How DARE YOU even mention the words TAE and BO in a thread related to traditional martial arts, or any martial art for that matter! lol

It does its job, and it is martial arts based. Billy Blanks has gotten awards for contributions to martial arts as a result of it.

Tae bo is as much a martial art as many other things labelled "Martial arts".

Andrew Green

Wow! Andrew Green there's no pleasing you is there. It wasn't a demo he was just showing us the differences. I've Kickboxed, I now how to Box, I'm not easily influenced, I'm a huge skeptic. I know what boxing punches can do, I'm a huge boxing fan, I love boxing. I had never seen or experience anything like that before. Read my profile I've studied various styles, I'm not a little kid impressed by tricks. Do you even know how to defend against a jab? You can keep a boxer at bay with kicks and when he throws his commited attack you take advantage of it and take him down. I'm sure you've seen this happen enough times in UFC. Besides not all punches are intended to knock you out. Some are to the body and some are to effect the opponent's structure, to take his balance. If you can take someones balance he's yours. If you don't know that, keep training. Peace brother.