• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why put down Traditional Styles of MA?

Are all Traditional Martial Arts outdated?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are all Traditional Martial Arts outdated?

• Are Mixed Martial Arts superior in every way?
    • Do both balance out in the end?
    • Are Traditional Martial Arts superior in every way?

Andrew Green said:

Once again, Go and read the other thread, I mentioned those things several times.

O.K. I beleive you, so basically we agree. It's not what you train, it's how you train that's important.

Read this article everyone, it's very long but very enlightening. It is very relevant to this topic.

https://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/traditionalMA.htm

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair - there are a lot of kung fu schools who train to win forms competitions. The whole wu shu thing and all that. But there are still a few styles that train you for life and death fighting, like praying mantis, choy lee fut, my jong law horn, wing chun, pak mei, to name a few. There are just as many MMA schools out there who couldn't train you to fight your way out of a paper bag. Martial arts training prepares a person to fight and not panic as most people do. Its the person and the teacher that make the fighter - NOT the style.

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.

well, the students also play a big part.

one who trains katas but fails to see the uses is the same as one who sees the uses but doesn't train in the other aspects.

in wing chun, we readily agree that in 99% of confrontations, the only things we are likely to use are tan sau, pak sau and chung chui.

if i spend my entire life training these three moves i will be able to defend myself quite well but i would have lost the other x% of the art that i was supposed to be studying.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Ya the student has a lot to do obviously :D That poll is a pretty stupid poll - no offense intended

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.

It's supposed to be stupid, because there is no way to be objective when it comes to judging Martial Arts. It either works for you or it doesn't, so basically study what you want. Also read the article I've attached, if you have the patience. :)

First of all u must dipict what the mean of effective is do u mean fighting or philosophy wise/cultivation of self. As we all know the basis on which MA's was created was violence ;unfortunately-martial meaning military ect.... second tradition is good but whta if u see ur MA instructor as a person of great "knowing" and he tells u, that lets say karate is the only good MA, much traditional teachers try to do this wit their students this is the first negative side to pure TMA's second is if u think that karate is the best MA then u have binded urself to the style and will never grow to ur highest potential. Take JDK for instance bruce and sifu dan will always say JDK is a concept of fighting not a style meaning something u can conform ur own ideas and styles to not something that conforms u to it :wink: I beleive the mixture of as many styles as u can taste without binding urself to any and completly being u will make u the best MA's u can be. Forget "this" and "that" and just "be". :P

Its the person and the teacher that make the fighter - NOT the style

Very well said and remember follow ur heart and open ur eyes and you too will see clearly!

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

the only little problem i see with taking bits from arts is that you might end up with a group of individually effective movements that don't work well together.

and lets be honest, most styles have answers for most situations only you as the student aren't shown all of the answers because you're not ready for all of them. i mean, why teach you 100 responses if you can't master three of them?

traditional arts are far from outdated. it's just that the average student today doesn't have the patience to learn all he can from one style so he seeks another style to fill in the gaps.

this is good because it teaches the student another perspective but it doesn't mean the older style is useless.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

from the ground up I couldn't agree with you more, well said. Also if people would look and study a TMA long enough with this new open minded philosophy, they would see a highly effective MA. The main problem is that people want quick results and that's being practical. Artists are not practical people, Mastery comes with patience and discipline.