• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

Having no knowledge of schools/training camps near me who teach Thai Boxing, I have to self teach what I can from a couple of books I borrowed from the library.

Does anyone know any sites, or possible means of contact information for the UK regarding Muay Thai by chance? If not, general links, articles and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be honest, you are probably better off learning almost any other martial art from an experienced instructor than you would be teaching Muay Thai to yourself using some books/tapes. The value of an intructor in a classroom setting is high, and in my Muay Thai class it has become apparant that it would be impossible to train alone. Conditioning is a big part of Muay Thai, that means getting kicked by someone else and getting your body used to being punished. You can not get this alone, nor can you get the little corrections in technique that all new students need. If you have other martial arts in your area or even a standard boxing gym, you should try them instead.

GD

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• 2 weeks later...

Believe me, there is probably quite a few people on this board in the same position you are in; myself included.

I think that not having a MT, or kickboxing, or BJJ gym is sad, but I'm not surprised with how many lazy, beer guzzling, fat-ass people I see in this miserable little town.

Well, I feel better now.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 3 weeks later...

Don't give up, Rich! It is easier to learn from books and taped if you have experience, so attending classes anywhere will increase the quality of your Muay Thai training. Regardless of whether or not you do that, the most important thing for you to do is get some pads and a friend and spar! In my experience teaching people, the beginner who spars will learn more and faster than the beginner who doesn't spar. This is true in any case. And make sure to use light or medium contact. Full contact is too much when trying to learn as much as you are, and no contact will slow your learning because there are certain things like slipping punches that don't work without contact. Keep up your motivation and get a friend, no matter what anyone says, it's better than nothing, right?

Good luck!

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!