• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts in the military

Martial means fighting. If you want to learn about spirituality, then go to church. If you want to learn meditation, go to yoga.

Martial arts should be about fighting first and foremost.

What does spirituality have to do with armed forces training anyway ?

I agree...many arts foucsed on other aspects to the extent that the actual ability to fight was lost.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trick is to find a propper balence between the two. Neglect one, you cant defend yourself. Neglect the other, you produce a group of thugs. Neither is the desired outcome. (broad generalization, dont take either personally please)

If church provides what you need in terms of the mental/ spiritual aspect, more power to you. I think that's great. Personally, (christian)church isn't the only/best answer for me and I enjoy the spiritual/mental side of the martial arts.

Back to the topic:

Taezee(tanzee?) taught some fairly hardcore TKD when he was in the military as part of their self defence training. he hasn't been around these boards in a while but if you look through his old posts you can learn more about what he did.

I was under the impression that most US military training for hand to hand combat was fairly simple and straight foreward. Stikes to very vital areas, some groungfighting, and detainment tactics. Our sparring instructor is a sergeant in the army in charge of PT for recruits (or was when he was in the military) and the head instructor was a marine (I beleive) back around the Korean war.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare