• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts in the military

I tried real hard to remember what kind of martial arts training I did in basic training. But that was in 1975 so my memory is kind of sketchy. We did what I now know was very basic skills. Straight punches and low kicks.

One of the DI's in the company had a friend that ran a martial arts school and during every basic training cycle would invite, (with the CO's permission), the instructor to bring a few senior students to come help instruct us. We did not do a lot just basic introductory stuff.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that military teaches MA's but i dont think they teach the spirtual aspect of it and plays a big role to me, if there is no spirtual aspect of no history to a MA should it be considered a MA? I think not but thats my opinion. Not too mnetion he history behind the MA and what it is best known for. There is obviously more to a MA than just fighting skills but some people think that's not important I on the other think thats half of it and the other half comes from the skills you attain and learn.

Mo Duk Pai Kung fu - Green Sash (https://www.modukpai.com)

Shotokan Karate - Orange Belt (https://www.nwkarate.com)

Future plans - Go to a Shaolin academy.(https://www.shaolins.com)

MARTIAL art.... IMO, if it teaches fighting, it classifies as martial. I am one of the ones who believes that the spiritual side is not necessary. That's what I have a church for.

You may say that spirituality does not enter into martial arts. But without the spiritual, you have no art, just the martial part of it. The martial arts are called so because they are just like painting, photography, or any other kind of art out there. Martial arts' spirituality is supposed to be an expression of ones self, not what god or faith you necessarily believe in. The control of the spirit and mind lets one's body flow, and can destroy any mental obstacles.

Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul.

Well, its like using a paintbrush to knock somebody on their @$$. I didn't say it wasn't do defend yourself too. Just flow the way you want to.

Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul.

Martial means fighting. If you want to learn about spirituality, then go to church. If you want to learn meditation, go to yoga.

Martial arts should be about fighting first and foremost.

What does spirituality have to do with armed forces training anyway ?

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt