• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Initially, I thought kick-boxing, but my boyfriend got concerned over the violence involved. I could learn karate perhaps, but there's just so many different types of martial art, I have no idea of the differences between them all.

A)Kick-boxing is not more or less violent than any martial art. The Muay Thai gym that I attend does not require that anyone spar unless they themselves want to.

Thing is, you suffer so much pain in hard workouts day after day, you begin to realize that the violence of some sparring isn't all that much worse. :brow:

B)ALL martials arts are somewhat violent. Do not listen to your boyfriend, he is just afraid you'll kick his butt.

Also, another thing that concerns me is my demeanour. I'm a small person, slim and not that strong. I'm also very light.

Obviously being big and strong helps, but it's importance is generally overplayed. This is particularly true of sharp weapons. A petite woman who has mastered the dagger and is tough could kill almost any martial artist in combat.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help and advice :)

I wanted to go for somewhere in my local town for easiness and economical issues, so went to the leisure centre to see what they have on offer. I also got a martial arts encyclopedia from the library to read up on the different schools and techniques.

MY friend Rhiannon, a black belt in Thai Kwon Doe told me that lessons were taught at my school during the evenings (people rent out the halls). She told me how she's thoroughly enjoyed her classes there, how the teacher was excellent, and she also told me the prices, which are better than the leisure centre. She also told me that they offer Karate there too. I think I shall begin with Thai Kwon Doe, and then maybe look into other schools at a later date.

Only thing standing in my way now is my feet...lol...need to get them sorted out at the doctors first 8)

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!