• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GKR and my son (long)

Hello! Im new to this forum and Im looking for some advice...

Basically a few weeks ago a man knocked on my door saying he was from the local karate club, I told him I wasnt interested at the moment and he asked about my son who is 4 years old....He said they normally start at 5 but he'd accept him at his current age of 4.

Fine I thought...He then charged me £80 for a join up fee without allowing me to see his classes first and then informed me that the classes were £5 a lesson.

Dont get me wrong, Im not *that* bothered about the expense but since he joined I have found some disturbing stuff on the internet about GKR and wondered what you guys thought...

Is it true that it isnt REAL karate?

Is it true that the instructors are not black belts?

Is it true that GKR is not accepted by the Karate body or whatever they are called?

Is it true that GKR students cannot take part in tournaments?

Is it true that GKR have a history of not having proper insurance cover?

The two classes my son has attended tend to be fairly 'messy', most of the students (highest rank is an orange belt) seem to obviously do the moves wrong yet the instructor does not help them and he spends most of his time talking and making jokes.

I used to do karate (wado ryu) myself a few years ago and the standard of my old class seems to be so much higher than these £5 a lesson classes that my son is attending.

I am not saying that GKR is bad or anything, id just like some advice.

(sorry about multiple posts, not sure which forum I should be on)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
umm... what's GKR?!? :-?

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey