• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi all,

im sure many of the people reading this will know about the uses and power of a persons own energy flow or chi and how it can be built and disscarged at will by a master or intermediate student in many forms of kung fu/tai chi . i just thought an interesting topic this month would be what people have see in the way of chi useage.

personally the best ive seen is the old punching candles technique done by a friend of mine. the aim of the game is the punch a candle flame out and the bigger the distance that divides your fist and the candle for it to gutter the stronger your chi. anyway he can gutter three candles one behind the other from a foot. pretty damn good if u ask me. reply if u have the time if not then any stories would be welcome.

rock on, Henry

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....ive seen is the old punching candles technique done by a friend of mine....
this might not be "chi kung", it is just the ability to move the air around the environment to help blow out the candle. :P

There is a art of Shaolin Skill, "Single Gold Finger". The skill after mastering can put out the "Old Candle Technique" by just pointing the candle without even punching or moving any part of your body. :nod:

well thats great and all but all i was doing was stateing something that i have seen in a light hearted manner! why does everyone have to take offence at everything anyone says in this place! and chi is energy in all forms chi means energy so yes it is chi. chi is what u get from walking down the street so yes to answer your question it is chi. i dont know u try and start a friendly conversation and if u dont say everything to the book it gets mocked hard. and gao i know the technique you are talking about but slightly different to how u explaned it.

Ranting Henry (no longer rocking on!) :kaioken:

Well, I dun believe Jerry or me are offense in anyway, right Jerry?

For me, I'm just trying to post what I knew. I might be wrong, yar :P

While I was training under Nghor Chor, we use to punch a pail of water without touching the surface. Shifu says, do it till the water splash. 3 years, I never able to make it work for me, only water ripple was created and shifu says it is the "Air" that moves the water while I was punching down and not the element of "Chi" :lol:

no offence taken, but u know how some people can be in here. as to your last post it is quite interesting because it brings up the whole question of what chi you are reffering to. as some belive that chi is all around and is drawn in from all living things and can be expelled as such were as some belive that chi is brought up from inside yourself is relesed. personally i think it is both, i think that all living things have life force that can be drawn from or given to.

No, I'm not offended either.

I do take exception to your definition of Qi as "energy in any form". It literally means "breath", and does not translate as "energy" in such a general term.

I suspect that your candle trick is creating wind eddies, and a ceiling fan does not move air by emitting qi.

As to where qi is drawn from and moved too; once you develop a sensativity to feeling it and moving it, most of these questions you can answer on your own by simply feeling for.

but dont you think that peoples decision of what chi is, is much like a decision of religeon. the fan does create energy too. it is a downward force thus it is energy that is being exerted downward. for example if someone has decided that energy is drawn from the earth then let that be there sorce if it works for them. it may not be the same in strength as it would be if drawn from their dantien (shakra) but if it is a force they can command then it is classed as energy surely.

:) write back this is getting interesting! :)

There are two groups of things.. the subjective and the objective. Subjective things are not "real". "pretty" is subjective, but not real (does not exist), "tasty" is subjective but not real (does not exist).

People may deicde whatever they like about Chi, but the reality of it does not change. People may choose any religion they like, but thre reality of existance does not change either.

So no, just because you feel that any energy is "chi" doesn't mean that you are properly using the word. You can redefine words all you like (you could declare "pizza" or encompass all forms of food), but it's not very useful.

the literal translation of Chi or Qi is breath but it reffers to all types of energy as Grandmaster Wang Ju-Rong states in one of his books on tai chi's 24-48 postures. there are all types of chi for example Ren Qi is heavenly energy, Kong Qi is the air we breath as energy, and Dian Qi is elecrical energy Qi is the intrinsic substance or the "vital force" behind all things.

And on a compleatly different subject, watch matrix2 because it is excelent!!!!

reply if u have time, Henry