• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The other side of the age issue

A lot of conversation goes on in here about the age of younger practitioners so lets look at the other side of the issue:

Is anyone ever to old to start training?

Is anyone ever to old to receive a black belt?

Should the pace of training be slowed in the presence of older students?

Lets talk a bit about things like this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I don't believe so (too old to start). My Tang Soo Do dojang had a couple who didn't start till they were 60. They are prolly 3rd degree BB's by now. No they can't kick high, but I wouldn't dare mess with them in a dark alley! They can spar! I got my but whooped by them many times and I was 25 at the time! Don't judge a book by it's cover. That's all I got to say about the subject ;)

Laurie F

Age and treachery will prevail over youth and power. :brow:

When you get older and more experienced you have more patience and poise while sparring. The younger ones are more agressive and tend to get impatient and frustrate easily. Then they make mistakes. The toughest people Ive sparred have been 20 yrs older than me. They just block everthing and wear me out till I leave an opening then nail me. :o

Thats what Im starting to do to the teenagers. :D

Point sparring the younger faster ones tend to beat me most of the time.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

It is never too late to start your martial arts training, nor is anyone too old to obtain their black belt. We have a 3rd degree black belt in our system who didn't even start his training until he retired from his job many years back. By that time he was easily in his late 50's or early 60's.

As far as the pace of their training, I see the older martial artist moving as fast as they are comfortable. If needed, then I say add some private time with the instructor if they feel it is necessary.

Since martial arts training is a life's journey for many, there are plenty of life experience the younger students can discover from the "older" students. :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

An interesting thought..

My honest answer is sometimes. I wish we could slow down a bit. For me i feel one of the disadvantages that i have is unlearning 38 years of habits in the way that i move. Not necessarily with all things but as an older beginner ( a bit over a year ) i find that relearning in a way how to move has proven difficult. Dont even talk about trying to be flexible after never stretching in my life. I've made great strides but i have a long ways to go where as someone 20 years younger would have a great advantage.

A lot of conversation goes on in here about the age of younger practitioners so lets look at the other side of the issue:

Is anyone ever to old to start training?

Nope, but as you age you might be drawn to different styles and activities than a younger person might, depending on your health considerations.

Is anyone ever to old to receive a black belt?

No

No, but all students - especially those whose health indicates they should be working at a slower pace - should be encouraged to work at their own pace. Our dojo doesn't demand all students work at the same pace; senior students will generally be faster than new students, for example.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Don't all students regardless of age (or physical ability) work at their own pace? Age is not an issue.

8)

Yes, though sometimes people need to be encouraged to do so .

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse