• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say boxing is the best thing you can learn to defend yourself in a street fight if you don't plan on spending years enjoying the training of martial art. And here's why: Not because boxing is a better way of fighting than Kung Fu, Aikido, etc. (I bet I just saved myself a lot of hate responses there), but because boxing clubs focus mainly on sparring. Therefore you get fighting experience much faster. Since boxing is a sport martial art aimed at winning fights in a ring, they focus mainly on fights in a ring, not proper form in kata, deep philosophy, what to do when someone grabs your wrist, etc. All the other styles are just as good as boxing, but they have a much more general focus. Although street fighting and sparring are a part of those styles, they are only one of many focuses, and thus sparring is practiced less due to the fact that they have to fit everything in. Boxing on the other hand sees sparring as its primary focus, thus it gets the most attention. So if you are looking to skip the possibility of preventing the fight with a joint lock, aren't so interested in the history of fighting or the deep philosophy behind it, and just plain want to defend yourself when you and your buddies are at a bar and someone starts throwing punches at you because they think you looked at their girlfriend the wrong way, go for boxing. Since its main focus is throwing punches against someone throwing punches at you, that's what you will practice every class, and you will consequently improve in that one area the fastest in a boxing club.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

I totally agree with that Guy Who Fights, and your absolutley right when you point out that boxing isnt better than kung fu or other similar ma's.

The thing you said at the end:

Since its main focus is throwing punches against someone throwing punches at you, that's what you will practice every class, and you will consequently improve in that one area the fastest in a boxing club.

Is what I have been saying all along (but in another form ofcourse), (view my first post).

So, since a boxer sparrs so much, and the main point of the sport is to punch and evade punches, then in many cases a good boxer will beat a good kung-fu'ist. Since a boxer who has trained about a month with a good boxer will probably have been in every possible scenario of a fist fight, and if he gets good at evadeing and countering in every scenario, then he only has to keep improveing them to perfection.

But ofcourse, a kung-fu'ist that knows all the kung-fu techniques and can use them with a good success rate, will have a desent chance of beating a boxer with the same amount of experience (when I'm talking about kung-fu I mean pretty much all similar MA's)

My final opinion is that noone beats a good martial artist, no matter how street-rough the opponnent is!!

And a good boxer will never loose a fist-fight!

I also want to add that most fights out on the street are fist fights, so the best way to defend yourself on the street is to improve on that point... That makes boxing the greatest street self-defence MA!