• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

exactly, it adds weight, but the gloves does not weigh that much that it would matter, by your reasoning then the gloves would also be slowing down the punches because of friction caused by the air, so that the power added by the gloves weight then would then be insignifikant :P . Besides if the weight from the gloves would in any way be signifikant then it would be harmful to hit and miss because of the weigt pulling the arm thus causing serious damage.

Now about the hands being hurt by the hitting, you must agree on the point that a boxer has got pretty resistant hands ,so if a boxer would hit someone so that he would hurt his hands, he would probably not need to hit that person again. right?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since almost nobody would stand for a punch from a good heavy hitting boxer

You can replace the word "boxer" in the previous sentence with the name of any other martial art and it will still be true.

Yeah, ok.

But boxers punch the hardest and heaviest among martial artists (now if it's considered as an martial art I dont know).

I heard from someone that Tyson killed a cow once with ONE punch. Now, I dont know if its true, but still.

And if it is true then what about all the guys who take his punches (and dont get knocked out). Respect!

Ps. I dont think it's possible to kill a cow with a baseball bat, at least not with ONE hit.

I heard from someone that Tyson killed a cow once with ONE punch. Now, I dont know if its true, but still.

Yeah and Mas Oyama a karate-ka kill numerous bulls with his bare hands. But not every boxer is like Mike Tyson and not every karate-ka is like Mas Oyama.

Thats the point, people have actually won over Tyson. Therefore there are a number of boxers that hit as hard as him.

And you cant go thinking that Tyson Could kill a cow because his tyson, it's because of his training as a boxer that he was able to kill a cow.

Now i'm not insinuating that all boxers punch that hard, but close (depending on their weight ofcourse). Because that is what is taught and trained in boxing, hitting with precision, power and speed. And to get back to the main point, street fighting, thats all that is needed in winning a streetfight. Now, the one that hits (with precision, power and speed), can evade punches and keep a distance AND can charge in a controlled fashion with speed, he will most probably have the best prerequisite to win.

Now that is exactly what is taught in boxing, thats about the only thing that is taught in boxing. And it's taught good, real good.

I have trained in Katate, TKD, and boxing. Just a couple of quick points:

1. With the exception of the jab, boxing does not use the ground to generate punching force. I have done extensive research on the physics of punching and boxing utilizes rotational energy. When I train my students in throwing hook punches my main focus is "just get your body rotating as fast as possible and the physics will do the rest." You may see some professional boxers on TV not using as much rotation but using more pushing off of the ground, these are boxers of lesser experience. There is a surprising number of pro boxers with absolutely no amature fighting experience, so there are therefore a large number of boxers with poot technique. Once they get good enough though, it's all rotation.

2. I don't know where the statistic came from on a previous page that boxing is 80% footwork and 20% punching, but with all due respect, this is way off. In boxing we actually use head and body work/movement more than footwork. Footwork is useful, but head and bodywork have many more tremendous benefits that only training can really help you to realize. But most of boxing is actually about timing and strategy. You really have to get in the ring to figure this out. It's difficult to feel the value of a fighter's timing and strategy watching it on TV because good timing and strategy just make it look like the boxer has a sub-par opponent. All of the footwork that teacher emphasize in boxing (and they emphasize a lot, making it easy for me to understand your thinking boxing is mainly footwork) is just footwork on the punches. And this footwork is designed to physically allow maximum rotation of the body with minimum resistance mechanically (see how it all goes back to rotation?). The boxing punches are more "powerful" than the usual Muay That and Kickboxing punches because those styles prefer to throw kicks after punches (which is a greate idea, I am not knocking it). If they threw punches with the amount of body rotation boxers do, the lower body is actually contorted too far to allow an effective kick to be thrown as a follow up (such as a jab, cross, cut kick combination). Since boxers never throw kicks in the ring, they train for maximum punching power alone, and acheive this by rotating the body more, which requires the legs and feet topivot to a degree where an effective kick is not possible. Muay Thai and Kickboxers make sure to leave themselves the option of kicking.

3. Why boxing is so effective: Plain and simple, the main reason boxing is so effective is because of sparring. A boxer may go to class five days per week, and each class will have at least half an hour of sparring. After that they may stay after to spar with someone or come in on a free sparring day on the weekend. These days it is difficult to find schools of traditional styles that spar at all, let alone more than once per week. Boxers make such good fighters because they spar every day with a decent contact level (this contact level is very important because very few of boxing's strategic defensive moves such as bobbing & weaving will work without a certain level of contact, thus classical styles sparing with low or no contact tend to think these tactics don't work and discard them). All of this sparring helps them develop excellent timing, endurance, and other abilities such as recognizing a telegraphed technique.

I have trained extensively in all styles mentioned and hope my information was of some help to you all.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

Thanks for the info, but you cant say the power in the punches dont come from using the ground jabs, as you mentioned, takes most of its power from the ground. Now based on this you cantsay boxing is mostly rotation since boxing uses mostly jabs therefore boxing uses mostly the ground as an power "resuorce". Besides there are also uppercuts that only use the ground.

• 3 weeks later...