• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan?

Sibylla

I am wondering whether Shotokan is for me? I am in my thirties, have some experience from jujutsu, medium height, muscular/heavy build, flexibile.

I'm looking for: - Something that can better my coordination and balance

- Which is not to difficult technically (due to my inability to remember complex moves)

- Stressrelease

- Not to hard on the body (jujutsu was quite hard, with the locks and throws)

- That has enough depth to keep me going at it for a looong time...

- Which has things I can do at home (like techs/katas)

One of the reasons I am asking particulary about Shotokan, is that I have the opportunity to go at a place with a japanese instructor that from what I have heard is quite good.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan, a hard style of Japanese karate, but not necessarily hard on the body, sounds like it would suit you fine. The katas are pretty much straight forward, and as you learn the advance katas, there are no real difficult moves, but will further help you in balance and coordination.

One of the big keys to learning how to properly execute the katas are all the little nuances of each movement even though it may not seem difficult. So in that respect, I think you'll find the depth in traditional karate training.

Hope this is of help, and keep us posted if you decide to start up your Shotokan training. Plenty of folks here to bounce off ideas and question off of.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Welcome Sib,

I want to give you a realistic description of what Shotokan is like for a person in his thirties...........

I started Shotokan when I was 30. I have a similar build as you.

Shotokan karate is not a cake walk, it is not ballet. It is a hard style of

Japanese karate. It will put stress on your knees, hips and shoulders.

The techniques are done with great power and effiency. You will get sore, bruised, and battered. It is all part of the fun!!!! :brow: :D . You will

start wih the basics and will gradually learn more difficult techniques as you advance. It is not as fancy and kick orientated as TKD is tends to have lower kicks and devastating punching power when properly trained.

Like any MA you will get out what you put into it. I personally enjoy it and would do it all over again. :karate:

I hope this helps and good luck whatever you may decide........

I only wish I had started sooner :roll: .

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Gee you sound so positive Shotochem. If I had read that before I started I am not sure I would have.

Things are presented in steps though so that you go from one thing to another before things get to the point you find yourself facing an opponent in sparring gear.

Thanks for the answers! I had my second Shotokan class today, the instructor assigned me a brown belt to show me some "moves" (which I can't remember the names of..) which I actually managed to do, somewhat. I am not feeling sore either. So far so good :D

If you have difficulty with your knees, I would reccomend Shito or Wado, or, better yet, an Okinawan style. I did Shotokan for about twenty years,and my knees are shot. Shorin Ryu is much easier on them.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Hi Sai,

I was just giving a realistic representation. :P I did not want anyone to think that it is an easy thing to train in MA. You have to work real hard

and it doesnt come easy when you are over thirty.

Pacific made it sound like a stroll in the park. :P I would say taking

Shotokan is one of the best things Ive done for myself mentally and physically. When I started I couldnt touch my toes. Now that I think about it, I couldnt even see my toes. :o Ive dropped all that weight and have a much happier and healthier life. :D

The best part of all is I get to dress up in those big funny white pajamas

and jump around and act and feel half my age!!!! :D :D :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

About the instructor issue; yes I agree that it is important. But there are a few Shotokan places in my town, but only one JJ place, so if I for some reason don't get along with the instructor, I can go somewhere else. He seems ok though (4th dan, about 50, japanese, not "macho"), the place had a lot older dan graded people and they probably go for quality.

shotochem: I felt just like you when I started in jujutsu, but after some time people that hadn't seen me in a while started to ask me why I looked so fit :) And I don't want to go back to the "old" me.

And there are some shotokan instructors who are starting to realize that people are training later in life now than before and are modifying program requirements to suit an older class. Not wimping it up but changing the emphasis from katas like emp to something like hangetsu. And accepting shorter higher stances so long as the student is working at what is the safe max for them to be working from so as to avoid knee problems.