• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Powerfull Kicks and Punches

hobz

How do you work on becoming more powerfull kicks and punches ? I figure just by doing them over and over again, but maybe there might be some specific exercises or something of the like?

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Do pushups. When you do them, push as hard as you can to make your upper body jump off the floor as high as you can. This will develope the explosive power needed for the punches. for the kicks, do jumper squats.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Hobz. Follow Radok and Andrew's advice. You want to be doing exercises that use a movement that either is the strike you want to get better at or is similar to it in mechanics. Some correct weight training is a good thing to add too. I wouldnt worry about static contractions or slo mo kicks. For example the slow kicks will strengthen your legs to a degree but you need to train the leg to activate quickly and powerfully. Weighted squats and jumper squats and lots of bag kicking are the order of the day.

HTH

Rich

Impact training! An hour per day with a heavy bag/makiwara/any combination of the above. :)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Just a word of warning on the squats. If you dont do them properly (some would argue that there IS no safe way to do a squat) you stand a VERY good chance of causing permanant and painful damage to your knees.

I asked my Sensi recently how to make my kicks and punches more powerful and what exercises I could do. His reply was two fold. First he said "For Power you first must have good technique" and secondly "What better way to make your kick better than to practice kicking?" Seems simple eh? If you want to practice using the muscles in your leg that are used when kicking, then kick alot and do it right. Dont just throw yourself at the bag, technique and balace are the key.

A little secret that my Sensi told me with my front kick (cant spell maigery(?)) is to push off with the back foot, as opposed to simply raising it in the air. Its all about explosive power.

/me gets down off the soap box

The more you beed in training, the less you bleed in battle.

Not sure I'm too keen on pushing off with the supporting foot. As I train for self preservation balance is very important so the support foot must be very stable. The worst case scenario is slippery conditions ie mud or rain so I try to practise on polished floors when I can, in smooth socks- sure highlights problems with balance.

If done properly squats should be fine IMO. Hindu squats are also fine if done properly, I believe, even though they break a few rules. In fact strengthening around the knee joint with these exercises can be protective. Remember proper form and training within your own limits.

Rich

Im not saying its easy, Im fairly certain that I couldnt do it properly on a polished wood surface in socks. But if you are able to transfer your weight properly (good balance) and have a good technique there is no reason that I can see for it to be inferior to simply lifting the leg off the ground and trying to generate all the power in the kick from straghtening the leg alone.

With the squats, you are correct. If done properly they are great. But I think its important to emphasise how easy it is to do them wrong or rather, how hard it is to do them right. Thats just my experience from seeing a number of people with bad knees as a result of squats.

The more you beed in training, the less you bleed in battle.

In my Dojo, we train with 'sandbags', we put them around our feet or hands, it makes you stronger and the punches will become more powerful.

Kill is love