There is no Best Martial Art

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are styles of MA that have grappling and striking in it's repretoire. There are MA's that are more complete than others, to make the assumption that Mixing MA's is the best, is biased. Mixing MA's is better for what? For competition? Yes. For Combat? No.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Sorry, must of hit submit twice by accident.

There are styles of MA that have grappling and striking in it's repretoire. There are MA's that are more complete than others, to make the assumption that Mixing MA's is the best, is biased. Mixing MA's is better for what? For competition? Yes. For Combat? No.

how is that bias, its only logical take the best ground arts and mix them with the best striking. just because a art has combined both striking and grappling doesnt mean it combined the best parts of each and if it did why isnt it used in todays MMA compatitions like Pride?. For combat yes because you learn a good standup with good ground game go ask bas rutten on sherdog.net. to Crosstrain means train more then 1 style by the way

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

under instructor Renzo Gracie

2x Detroit Golden Gloves Boxing Champ

Metamorph said:

how is that bias, its only logical take the best ground arts and mix them with the best striking. just because a art has combined both striking and grappling doesnt mean it combined the best parts of each and if it did why isnt it used in todays MMA compatitions like Pride?. For combat yes because you learn a good standup with good ground game go ask bas rutten on sherdog.net. to Crosstrain means train more then 1 style by the way

So we agree, crosstraining is best for Competition. So if a MA has both good grappling and stand up skills already in it, than it's best as a complete art. MMA is Martial Arts not a Martial Art, the thread is there's no best Martial Art. I think there are Martial Arts out there that are best for the Street and Combat, and Martial Arts that are best for the ring. Your saying if it's not in Pride or UFC it's not valid or effective? Give me a break.

So we agree, crosstraining is best for Competition.

Dpends on what sort of competition and what you are training in.

MMA is Martial Arts not a Martial Art,

No it is a training method and a sport format. Many schools teach Mixed martial arts as one thing.

the thread is there's no best Martial Art.

Right, but there are best training methods for certain things. MMA is the best training method for fighting. You can train weapons and multiple attackers with this method as well, you do not always have to follow the rules of the sport format.

I think there are Martial Arts out there that are best for the Street and Combat, and Martial Arts that are best for the ring.

And they will use the same training methods. Limited rules sparring allowing all ranges and developing from there.

There are other skills, such as standing locks and controls, which have some value that cannot be trained in this method. That is because they are not effective in fighting. They can be used to control someone who is unco-operative, or to prevent a fight before it starts. But once there is a fight going these will not work very well.

Your saying if it's not in Pride or UFC it's not valid or effective? Give me a break.

If it where effective it would be used in Pride or the UFC as those fighters use whatever is effective. Apart from things which are outside the sport format such as multiple attackers and weapons, however these are still best trained the same way.

Stop thinking "styles" and start thinking "training methods", styles are defined by there training methods. As some training methods are better then others some styles will be better then others. Traditional styles often get held back because they are defined by training methods which are outdated.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Andrew Green said:

Right, but there are best training methods for certain things. MMA is the best training method for fighting. You can train weapons and multiple attackers with this method as well, you do not always have to follow the rules of the sport format.

I don't agree Mixed Martial Arts is the best training method for fighting. I think it's the best for UFC and PRIDE.

There are other skills, such as standing locks and controls, which have some value that cannot be trained in this method. That is because they are not effective in fighting. They can be used to control someone who is unco-operative, or to prevent a fight before it starts. But once there is a fight going these will not work very well.

There not effective in fighting? What fighting? In the ring? In the street? Yeah no one has effectively ever in the history of civilization ever used locks and controls to defeat someone in Combat (sarcasm). Tokyo police don't use guns they study Budo Taijutsu and Jujitsu and other so called traditional styles, they are very effective. You wouldn't know if those techniques worked well or not even if you witnessed it. Those techniques at full speed are vicious and it looks like they fell really hard or all of a sudden he's holding his arm or shoulder in pain, on the ground.

You seem to have a preconceived idea about the training methods of so called "Traditional" styles of MA's. I study Budo Taijutsu and we have full contact sessions with gloves and head gear, for certain techniques. Some techniques you just can't go full strength or your fellow student will be injured. When you study weapons you have to go slow or wear the proper gear.

Stop thinking "styles" and start thinking "training methods", styles are defined by there training methods. As some training methods are better then others some styles will be better then others. Traditional styles often get held back because they are defined by training methods which are outdated.

It depends on what Traditional MA I guess. The training methods we have are fine and have been for the last 900 years. Just because certain MA's don't showcase their talents doesn't mean they are not effective. They've worked for me, where it really counts on the Street.

There not effective in fighting? What fighting? In the ring? In the street? Yeah no one has effectively ever in the history of civilization ever used locks and controls to defeat someone in Combat (sarcasm). Tokyo police don't use guns they study Budo Taijutsu and Jujitsu and other so called traditional styles, they are very effective. You wouldn't know if those techniques worked well or not even if you witnessed it. Those techniques at full speed are vicious and it looks like they fell really hard or all of a sudden he's holding his arm or shoulder in pain, on the ground.

Reread what I said. I didn't say that they couldn't be used, I said they weren't that effective in a fight. Police is a different issue, they are not fighting, they are controlling and would usually have back up.

You seem to have a preconceived idea about the training methods of so called "Traditional" styles of MA's. I study Budo Taijutsu and we have full contact sessions with gloves and head gear, for certain techniques. Some techniques you just can't go full strength or your fellow student will be injured. When you study weapons you have to go slow or wear the proper gear.

Good for you.

I think you will find that a lot of MMA practitioners have TMA experience, but the other way around is a lot less common.

I do and teach both, and I recognize the limitations and strengths of each.

It depends on what Traditional MA I guess. The training methods we have are fine and have been for the last 900 years. Just because certain MA's don't showcase their talents doesn't mean they are not effective. They've worked for me, where it really counts on the Street.

That is a very bad reason to do something. After 900 years there should be improvement, if what you do is 900 years old it is outdated. Or do you also believe Aristotle was right and modern science is wrong about most things?

Andrew Green

Reread what I said. I didn't say that they couldn't be used, I said they weren't that effective in a fight. Police is a different issue, they are not fighting, they are controlling and would usually have back up.

Good for you.

I think you will find that a lot of MMA practitioners have TMA experience, but the other way around is a lot less common.

I do and teach both, and I recognize the limitations and strengths of each.

That is a very bad reason to do something. After 900 years there should be improvement, if what you do is 900 years old it is outdated. Or do you also believe Aristotle was right and modern science is wrong about most things?

Andrew Green

most ppl you meet on the street are untrained MMA is a proving ground for MA's all I'm saying is 1 art is not the best you must mix them to get the best style of fighting for you

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

under instructor Renzo Gracie

2x Detroit Golden Gloves Boxing Champ