• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Front leg roundhouse

WhiteBelt

Hey I need some tips here. I'm practicing a front leg roundhouse, which I am still getting used to, and also trying it while advancing on an opponent. What I need are some tips on the mechanics of it.

When I try a stationary front leg roundhouse, either I move my weight to my back leg and then twist, execute, etc., but this seems slow and hence no better than a back leg kick. I also tried moving my read leg to my front leg, which was faster but I don't know, it seems risky.

Any tips would be appreciated as I'm stuck in the office for the next two days and won't be able to goto class. :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure what you're getting at but...I'll offer a few ideas. First of all, in order to get the kick off you do have to switch your weight to the rear leg and use more twist in order to make up fo the power lost -as opposed to a rear leg technique. The key to making it faster is in the footwork and chamber. You have to practice, practice, practice in order to accomplish this. If an opponent is advancing you may have to switch step back and then throw the kick (not optimal but can be effective), or skip step forward to create enough momentum not to get knocked on your butt when you throw it. Lastly, using a 45 degree angle on the kick's path to the target, rather than a 90, makes the kick faster and less identifiable to your opponent and lead leg tehniques can always be used as smoke screens for powerful rear leg kicks.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I agree with Ninjanurse. When I did TSD, our fighting stance was 70 weight on our back leg and the rest on our front leg .... or something like that. So it was easy for me to shoot off any front leg kicks. I was used to sparring like that when I started in TKD, and no one expected it. It was cool :D Anyways, the 45 degree kick works good for this (or as my new school calls a "punting roundhouse"). You can also try the above fighting stance and it won't take much for you to "adjust" and then fire off the roundhouse. It's kinda hard for me to explain unless I show you. There is a few ways of exicuting (sp?) a front leg roundhouse. I'm better at "showing" then "talking" LOL

Laurie F

Where abouts is your target? Chudan (stomach area) or Jodan (head)?...

usually the front leg is used without moving the back leg in close distances... where you shouldn't move your back leg because it's too time consuming... and if you do move your back leg then it means the distance is longer... (usually in long distance where if you need to step in to punch etc)...

when I kick with the front foot... (with my stance 50/50 weight distribution)... I swivel my back foot so my heel is pointing as close to my opponent as possible the same time as I lift my knee and throw the kick out... with flexibility it's easier to kick to the head... or even using the ball of the foot and going to the groin ... (remembering that kicking with the toes to the groin is pretty dangerous when the groin is rarely going to be an open target with the reflexes of their legs .. and kicking knees etc with the toes doesn't feel too good)...

but we always teach students regardless of what type of roundhouse kick... to swivel the back foot so the hell faces the opponent... it means you can reach longer distances... you are helping your hips a little more so everything is turning in the same direction etc...

just takes some strength to pull your leg back after you've kicked.. and it can be time consuming ...

so it involves a lot of practice and strength/flexibility work...

and remember to always keep your kamae/guard up while kicking (flying chickens with their guards all over the place don't have much balance)...

*stops the essay*

:)

Kind regards,

Bri!

xxxxxxx

Stress - The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living * out of some * that desperately needs it!

Target would be about the abdomen, and yes, I do have a problem with the flexibility of my hips. We are taught to point our foot 90 degrees to the target, and then rotate the rest of the way to 180 degrees during the kick. Though, this way of kicking seems very, well, difficult at first. Goes very quickly, but it's much slower on the return.

the speed coming back relies on the strength in your legs.

to get flexible hips in a round house kick: hold onto a window ledge, point your back foot to where your kicking, lift the kicking leg up making sure the knee is always the highest point and pointing to where you want to kick. Then practice keeping your knee, hips, shoulder and head in one line and push the leg out slowly and then pull it back in line with everything else, looking over the shoulder as you kick. Can build up the speed as you go.

I find that is a really helpful exercise to get flexibility in the hips and it also feels like a greyhouse biting at your butt, quads and other muscles you find you have; so you develop your muscles and strength so when you do the kick you can feel where it all should be and have a bit more strength each time you do a kick...

and goddamn after doing that exercise without putting the leg down for awhile REALLY kills your butt, and legs and hips if they're not flexible after awhile!! lol

Bri!

xxxxxxx

Stress - The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living * out of some * that desperately needs it!

greyhouse - greyhound :P

ah yeah... that's what I meant... point the hell of your foot to where you're kicking..

been sick the last week or so ... sorry :bawling:

Bri!

xxxxxxx