Blackbelt at 16?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kids benefit from these things called 'short-term goals,' but i feel it is counterproductive to have such things being applied to adults.

If there was a universal change in the way things are handled, whereby kids can traverse from white to black and when they obtain adulthood they hangup their colors and simply practice, i would be amenable to that.

Of course, we all know that's not going to happen. :roll:

On a side, i understand the Kudokan does not allow anyone under 16 to obtain a black belt in judo.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I dont believe that you have to be over 16 to be a Black Belt. It depends what age you start training from. But I am 14 and I am taking my Black Belt this September. So you can take your Black Belt under 16.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I agree with you david, i dont think you have to be 16 to take your black belt, you can be very young and good enough to achieve a black belt so i think that you can achieve a 1st dan whateva your age.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

Of course i am, i am always right! lol, anyway, why is there an age restriction?!

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

There was a time when a black belt meant the guy wearing it was trouble in any back alley.

Well, I thought that too, until I actually started training in the MAs.

In our particular art, black belt only symbolizes that you have a firm knowledge and skill at application of the BASICS.

My master actually told us at promotion the we were now ready to BEGIN our martial arts training.

I think our Western culture put too much emphasis on the black belt as a sign of mastery of the art, not the beginning of the real training.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Huh... Yes it matters at what age you start training. But at 14 or 16, I don't think you have the physical and mental strength that is required for the black belt examination. Please don't get me wrong - I've seen a 14 year olds who train hard, have good technique (better than some of those attending the adult classes, if I may add) and are doing really well. They are on their way to become masters.

Probably that's why some schools have junior black belts - so that kids can have proof of their progress and can stay motivated. But if you ask me - that's where they're wrong. If you have to give them the black belt to keep them motivated, well I don't think they deserve it. I'd rather have a bunch of perspective brown and blue belts in junior classes, wait a couple of years until they grow up a bit, go trough the puberty and all... :roll: And then - if they'd still be training - let them take their black belt exam. Yes, starting to train at an early age actually pays off. Such students progress faster compared to their collegues. So there's no time lost, if you make them wait a bit. And if they were willing to wait - that tells you something about their personality and attitude, doesn't it?

1st dan is the beginnig, very true... I might be a bit "old school" in my way of thinking, but a black belt of any degree should be a mature person whose performance has edge and patina. That in my opinion, comes only with time.

Edited by RaidenTB

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

KSN Doug Wrote

" My master actually told us at promotion the we were now ready to BEGIN our martial arts training. "

Yes, my sensei told me the same thing, a black belt is when you start to train.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.