• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blackbelt at 16?

I thik age should and shouldnt have a factor in testing like in shotokan for instance there are qualifications one must meet to adv. in dan levels this i think is outrageous because you have to be going on like 50 or 60 years old to begin to qualify for 9th dan. Some instructors have arthritis or have leg and knee problems. Thats one factor where age should not count because by the time you reach that age your just going downhill anyway. Now as for black belt shotokan has minimum age of being 16 to achieve it and 18 yrs of age up till 3rd dan pass that and your adding on years like 2 or 25 and so on with each dan you pass. How ever in kung-fu it doesnt really matter what age you are so long as the instructor that passed you thinks and sees you deserve and are well maintaining yourself to BB level and showing in and out the dojo that you are a senior student then age shouldnt matter but it all depends on the person, everybody is different.

Mo Duk Pai Kung fu - Green Sash (https://www.modukpai.com)

Shotokan Karate - Orange Belt (https://www.nwkarate.com)

Future plans - Go to a Shaolin academy.(https://www.shaolins.com)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting that you should mention this as i will be gaining my black belt next march, i will still be 16 when i recieve it.

i am taking the test no different to lets say a 30 year old would take, i personally feel that i have the knowledge and discipline to deserve one

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

NInja Nurse has said it best that you need the maturiy and responsiblity behind the belt. My Organization does not give any black belts out to anyone under the age of 18, most students who are blue at 16 have to wait till they 18 before they can test and the same for some one who is 15 and is blue but still has to wait..

In the organization i belong to Black Belts are expected to take on greater responsibilty at the dojo and the organization as a hole.. Besides it builds character when you have to wait for a a period of time before getting you Black Belt. Makes you a better person...

Spirit

"Believing in the martial spirit"

Japanese Goju-ryu Karate-Ka

Tai chi Chaun

Kobudo

interesting that you should mention this as i will be gaining my black belt next march, i will still be 16 when i recieve it.

i am taking the test no different to lets say a 30 year old would take, i personally feel that i have the knowledge and discipline to deserve one

To quote Ken Furuya:

"If you feel you are ready for, or deserve your black belt, then you are most certainly not. "

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

err okay, of course there is no chance in the world for a sixteen year old to actually deserve a blackbelt, but i mean sure when you turn 18, you instantly deserve it,

sure the 5 years of training which i did doesnt matter, but the two year of training at a mc dojo to earn a black belt when your over 18 matters.

right.

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

err okay, of course there is no chance in the world for a sixteen year old to actually deserve a blackbelt, but i mean sure when you turn 18, you instantly deserve it,

sure the 5 years of training which i did doesnt matter, but the two year of training at a mc dojo to earn a black belt when your over 18 matters.

right.

If I were you, I would quit while I wasn't too far behind....

:)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

in my dojo for karate there are 2 syllabuses one for 13 and below year olds one for anyone above that.When u do the gradings using the 14 and older syllabuses u get graded in the EXACTLY same way as anyone older than that no matter how much older .I have been 14 for all my gradings so far and been tested in the same way as a guy who is the same rank but has done 2 other martial arts and is about 35 no arrogance intended but i hav the same level of ability as him and im just as mature in the lessons (i dont no about outside of them).If i keep going at this rate i am i will hav my blackbelt when im about 16 maybe 17 and so will he but we will be the same level just different ages.And i do also help teach but everyone in our dojo is expected to even if your a white belt u can just pass on some information that u have learned that somone might be overlooking and as u progress through the ranks u can mayb help a bit more and start demonstrating a technique or two.

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky