• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a Black Belt

I know that all of us out there have different opinions. So now I want everyone to discuss what they believe to be a blck belt.

What does it mean to achieve one?

What is expected of a black belt?

At what black belt level does one teach?

At what level does one open their own school?

What is the best comparison you could make to explain what a

Black belt is?

What should a black belt be able to do?

Is age a consideration when awarding a black belt?

In your own words, what is a Black Belt?

Please discuss. Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

to me, a black belt is one who has learned the basics and developed to the point where SHe can now move on to the more advanced concepts of their system.

the black belt is not the end of the journey, but the beginning, so to speak.

an analogy to me would be , the lower belt ranks could be grade school thru high school... the black belt would be the collegiate levels.

in my opinion, someone of black belt level should be able to teach the basics to others, if their sifu/sensei feels it appropriate.

age IN AND OF ITSELF should not be the primary consideration, although maturity level should be.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

I know that all of us out there have different opinions. So now I want everyone to discuss what they believe to be a blck belt.

OK, I'll answer the questions in order asked:

What does it mean to achieve one?

I think to a martial artist who has reached shodan or higher, once you've reached shodan you've got a good grasp of the basics, but there is still lots to learn, in terms of kata, more advanced techniques, mental/spiritual development, teaching techniques, etc. We still have a number of kata to learn after reaching black belt in Goju, and those kata are contain more advanced techniques than those before shodan.

To one who is uninitiated to the martial arts, black belt seems to be "the" ultimate rank you're aiming for, or the destination.

What is expected of a black belt?

Well, I'd think we're expected to be examples, but I'm kind of idealistic.

At what black belt level does one teach?

We have to start gaining assistant instructor hours at green belt.

At what level does one open their own school?

Shodan seems good to me, though I did have a brown belt judo instructor towards the end of my judo training and he was better than the black belt instructor I had prior to him. I think the key is that the person should be a good instructor, and actively training themselves.

What is the best comparison you could make to explain what a

Black belt is?

I've heard various comparisons...the most common seem to be like school achievements...degree, master's, doctorate.

I still think it is hard to draw comparisons, though.

What should a black belt be able to do?

Without getting into philosophical areas, basically the required techniques, and skills for the style (my school had some personal development skills included in their requirements, too though). As for the required techniques, some exceptions could be made for physical ability (ie if the person is doing the kata in a wheelchair of course it is going to look different, and there will have to be modifications to the techniques in that case). In that circumstance, it would take a very skilled instructor that is willing to work with the person to find something that works; not everyone is cut out for that type of teaching, either, regardless of their intentions.

Is age a consideration when awarding a black belt?

In my opinion, yes, but I'm not sure of the actual cut off (many say 16); nothing magical happens when you turn 16; you can be 45 and less mature than a 15 year old, and as for size.. I'm 30 and smaller than a 13 year old girl at my dojo (and I'm average size!) :o . I was also there when a 13 year-old brown belt got penalized for being a brown belt and not a junior black belt because his association wouldn't allow it, and his exceptional level of skills made the judges feel he had an unfair advantage, even 1 year after reaching his brown belt (the minimum time at brown before reaching black in the association). His size and skills, combined with his mental attitude and upbringing (being the son of two Sensei and training from the age of 3), meant he would have been a good black belt at 13. :(

In your own words, what is a Black Belt?

A symbol of what I've learned, and a reminder of the enormous amount still to be learned.

Please discuss. Very Respectfully wcnavstar

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

As long as there are people looking for the easy way, there will be people willing to take their money and let them do it that way.

I'm starting to have less and less respect for the actual dan rank someone is, and more and more for the actions I see from them; it is my only way to fight back. I'm still holding the titles of Renshi, Shihan, Kyoshi and Hanshi in great esteem until I'm given a reason otherwise.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I believe that some of you have taken this forum in a different direction. I did not want to know your opinions on the rising problems of mcdojo's or the lousy black belt syndrome.

Merely I wanted to know what you belive to be a blck belt and what it means to you.

very respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

My thought exactly. You can't define Black Belt in just one way as there are so many ideas,variables, and philosophies that are entwined. You could assign one word to define it but that one word can have many different meanings.

My "definition" of Black Belt is summed up in two words:Overcoming Self.

Explaining what it means would take many more words and could lead to many discussions, so I leave it up to the reader to take it to heart and come to their own conclusion..a personal journey based on values, ideals, ethics, and experience.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/