• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Realistic statement or not?

BKJ1216

I was reading through my "Official Shudokan Karate-Do Handbook" today and noticed a little part that said "...most students will be able to defend themselves very well within 6 months of training."

Now if none of you are familiar with shudokan don't worry but does this sound like a realistic statment?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Wow, what a completely disingenous statement. guaranted to bring in more students, and guarantee that the ones you do have get pounded when they go out looking for fights! :roll:

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I don't think that it's a way to get more students seeing as they dont give the handbooks out to people who aren't students.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

whats the big deal, it just sounds to me like a training goal, dosent mean all students will make it there at that exact time. i wish sometimes my sensai would give me some general goals for these freak-in belts! dam my styles politacal correctness! :lol:

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Unlikely. MT would give you the chance of doing that more so than any style IMO. You can learn a lot in 6 months a do well in simple SD but not even the best black belts can defend themselves all the time in the street.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree with Champ. When myself and several others earned our green belts our Hanchi told us that we knew just enough to get ourselves hurt. That statement took care of any cockiness that any students my have been feeling. I have just earned my brown (3rd kyu) after almost 4 years, and feel confident in my abilities to defend myself and others if need be but also realize that there is so much more to learn. 6 months you'll know some techniques and combos but will you be able to react without thinking? Will one technique flow effortlessly into another? Don't be discouraged if after six months you feel you should know more. Martial Arts is a way of life and takes a lifetime to master if one ever truely does. IMHO

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

6 months of training is just enough time to make you a worse fighter then you were before you started training at all.... After about 6 months of training your body is just starting to accept the techniques, strikes, and katas into your muscle memory.. naturally for this to happen a lot of your born fighting instincts such as charging someone with right left right left flailing motions are being overwritten. to get into a serious altercation at this point would leave you a bit confused in the head about what to do, because you still have a large amount of your natural fighting responses and you have a few new striking methods that your body has been slowely adapting. thus your going to be trying to fight with these new techniques you have learned, but they will still be to fresh for a novice to use them productively. which is why you hear the phrase "the most dangerous people are the ones who know nothing". it's a confusing thing to explain, and i am probably the wrong person to do it as i take much too long... hope i conveyed myself correctly.

Maybe he means in 6 months he'll have taught you enough about avoidance and how to carry yourself so that you aren't a target, and won't go looking for trouble anymore?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

usually 6 months is about how long it takes to get a good foundation in a stlye like Muay Thai or Krav maga..and they are designed to be taught quickly..