• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Secret Testings

KaratekaAikidoist

between me, you, and everyone else on this forum... i think testing is garbage. up until maybe a year ago i thought thats how it had to be done. You put in your dojo time, you train hard at home on your own time, then you test and if you do good you are promoted. I had the privelage of attending a very good goju-ryu school, and it just so happened that on that day, at the end of class, the sensei promoted one of his senior students to black belt. The senior student had been training their for 12 years and that particular day the sensei had felt he was ready to receive his black belt.... after seeing that, i feel thats how belt promotions should be done, when you look ready, naturally.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The philosophy my instructor has is that testing is a haze and a traditional formality. This doesn't mean that he doesn't test, but it just means that he never let any of us test unless we were ready. If your instructor thought to surprise you, then I wouldn't be worried because they wouldn't do it unless they knew you were ready (otherwise why take the risk of letting someone unprepared test)?

Mind games are fun sometimes...

Or so I told myself sometime between finishing my 800th pushup an starting my thousand punch drill during my last test...

Take care.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/