wilko9999

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, each situation is different and I am not against knocking a well deserving bully on his butt or defending oneself appropriately, however, I don't feel it has a place in the dojang by a senior student. Respect is earned, not demanded because of the color of your belt. Violations of dojang rules or traditions can be handled "administratively" and if the student does not wish to comply they can be asked to find another school to train at.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

First of all just let me state that I am not trying to be antagonistic here. :)

I just don't feel it is appropriate for my students to have it out in the dojang either. That goes against the tenets and precepts that I want them to learn. Many people act arrogant and bullyish just to get a rise out of people and if they are ignored long enough they will stop behaving that way...they may even learn something about respect along the way (and if they don't then they are not the type of person I want to give my knowledge to). Isn't that a better way than resorting to physical means? Afterall, we are trying to teach them how to behave, not how not to behave. As I have said before, verbal judo goes a long way...and one only learns this art by seeing it in action and observing the results. Physical action should be a last resort in all situations.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

So, back to the original post. How did you handle it, or was this a hypothetical situation? Why were you without a belt but with another person that was wearing theirs? Why did you think it mattered that you didn't have your belt on and they did? Was the situation in a dojo or outside of one?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

In the normal course of class there usually arises a suitable opportunity to pair those up together without making any kind of a fuss about it. It can be done so subtly that only a few people know what is going on.

The problem with that method would arise when the rank difference is to much.

Why is having your belt on relevent, if its in the dojo they'd know what grade u were anyway and if they didn't you'd tell them. If its outside the dojo then why would you be wearing your belt? If they were attacking you or pushing you then you'd defend your self like any self defence situation white belt or not. Basically the question you've asked is WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOUR THREATEND BY SOMEONE. Martial arts should give you an answer to that :wink:

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

this is all great thanks all :up:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

Hi

A white walks up to you and starts pushing you around you have not got your belt on, but you are a very high grad what do you do,WHAT DO you do.

That depends.

In every karate class, there is a particular culture. So, you have to make choices between your dignity vs. the consequences of resisting other people.

I personally prefer my dignity these days, but that's because the consequences for me are very, very low. I really don't need to be in anyone's karate club any longer. I have my own. So, if it were me, I'd probably confront the guy next time he did it and say something like, "Listen, I know you are trying to be helpful and fit in around here, but you know what? I don't remember hiring you to teach me karate. So if you don't mind, keep your opinions to yourself and buzz off."

If I was new to the club, I would probably shop around for a club run by someone with the courage to discipline the other students when they tried to play at being "sensei."

I think a karate class should be run like any college class. The teacher should come in, teach the class, and the students, no matter their level, should all take their direction from him. When one student tries to coach another - that's not a good thing.

In a karate club, though, this tends to happen a lot because you mix in people who have been in the class for years with people who are just starting out, and commercial schools especially like to use assistant instructors who are just students because it lets the big man sit in the office and sell his classes to new people while they teach.

A tough problem.

You can ignore him. You can confront him. Or you can tell on him. Or you can do what he says. Each choice will have consequences, and you have to be brave enough to accept them.

Rob Redmond

"24 Fighting Chickens"

Shotokan Planet

24 FIGHTING CHIKENS! you mean THE 24 fighting chikens, from the shotokan karate site thats on my favorites list like seven times!!!!! omg, i feel like im talking to a celebraty, wait, i am! your articles have helped me so much, i cant belive im actually seeing you here! :o

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty