• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have also heard of people using dumbells (hand held weights) when doing the punching in the air thing.

GD

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

Using weights on your wrists or in your hands can cause hyperextension of the elbow, so I wouldn't advise using that strategy. Reducing risk of injury needs to be be at the front of your mind when doing martial arts.

You can purchase elastics that you can attach to a wall or a pillar and you can use those to provide resistance without the risk of hyperextension that you have with free weights.

The key to increasing your speed is to fatigue your muscles and still try to increase your speed with each technique. Practice practice practice.

Sorry D_Raven but that's not really true. We do punching with weights occasianally and every time our coach reminds us not to over extend the punch.

That's what causes hyperextension of the elbow and similar damage can be done to your elbow when using elastics.

My point is it's your form that leads to hyperextension not the type of resistance you apply.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

I stand by my statement. Free weights increase the risk of injury to the elbow, especially with speed training. The more weight a student uses the harder it is to stop a technique before full extension.

With elastics there is resistance which helps to reduce the risk of hyperextension.

Hyperextension injuiries in the legs can lead to a torn meniscus, dislocated knee cap, and torn ligaments and in te earms can lead to dislocation and torn ligaments.

Ultimately a student can become injured doing something as simple as a side kick if they don't pivot properly.

My point is that as instructors we want to do our best to make sure our students stay healthy by using training methods that reduce the risk of injury. You can enver eliminate the risk of injury due to the nature of the sport, but we do want to reduce it.

• 2 weeks later...
There are a number of ways to increase punch speed...one is to throw your punchs faster and not as hard...might sound stupid but it works...if your gonna use dumbells use very very very light ones and just shawdow box with them, do not throw full extended punchs fast with them. Other thing you can do is use heavy 16oz or heavier gloves for a couple of months and then use smaller ones...that will also help give speed in the long run...just remember these things don't happen over night...it will take time.

• 3 months later...