• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How have you given back?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have done some teaching. I find one of the most helpful things is to help junior students before class. Those who come early to warm up and practice are usually serious about what they are doing and enjoy getting a hand. It is also very rewarding to watch their progress over time.

And places where we have trained that are multi purpose rooms I usually run the dust mop before class.

And never forget little things like helping new students tie their belts or make sure the correct side of the gi top is the one on top do make a difference.

Like everyone else, I teach what I have been taught to any and all who are willing to learn, and try my hardest to pass on my art as I have originally learned, and continue to learn it. :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Thanks everyone - for all the junior students who don't think they are "qualified" to teach 0 whenever you think you have the experience - go for it! It's so rewarding! And I also think it's great that some of you guys help your classmates out....I have recieved so much help in the past from the senior students I looked up to...This thread is smiley :D :P

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

How so do you mean?

I help teach the kids judo. I'm like a mentor to this one particular little girl who has alot of fire in her. I didn't realize how much I meant to these kids until a tournament and they kept asking me to warm them up and give them advice, etc. Other adults would try to help them, and they kept coming to me anyway - makes you feel good.

When I was in longfist, alot of people who were interested in full contact fighting would ask me for coaching, since I'd been in muay thai and have fought full contact before. They would also look to me for grappling help.

Although an old quote..this is so true:

To the world you may be one person - But to one person you may be the world. Always hold yourself up as a good example and be thankful to those who helped you along the way. Giving back to others out of respect for those who gave to you is a blessing. I love to help and teach if i'm able..i was one of those who fell through the cracks because of either being to shy to ask for help or just not being noticed that i had trouble. Always look out for others. See quote number one.

I started a non-profit association that taught martial arts about four years ago, and ran two classes five days a week....I have unfortunately left that communty, but a student is now teaching classes there (Northern Ogre).

I am looking to do the same now.