• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How have you given back?

Next year I decided to take what I have learned in the martial arts community and give back. After I recieve my black belt (hopefully testing in fall) I am starting a martial arts program for mentally handicapped kids at my school. I have been teaching for over 2 years, and I feel that this is taking my training another step. I will only charge the cost of keeping the program from collapsing :lol:. What have you done to give back to the community?

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You can only give back to those willing to take it. I wish everyone would get into MA as we do but I am very selctive of who I teach. However I do a lot of things for the town and community as a teacher, coach and sensei so I never look at is as what have I done for you lately.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I'm only a green belt, so I would say that I would teach what I have been taught. Most of it has been mental stuff. Yes I have good technique, but that's not all I have learned. I have learned confidence, self esteem, ect. That is more important to someone that has never had this kind of thing. If and when I open my own dojang (which will happen), I will teach my kids these things. On top of awareness. I want my kids to have the confidence I didn't have or the self esteem. Martial arts changed me in this area. So I want to repay that, and show the folks I teach the same :)

Laurie F

I have instructed kids and Sailors in the United Sates Navy and continue to spread the teachings of the MA to everyone I meet.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

i help my instructor with the children's class. i love the idea that you will be working with mentally hanicapped children/people. there was a boy the was mentally handicapped at the last tournament that i attended! it made me so happy just watching him because he was so happy and proud of himslef!

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

Because I don't believe I am qualified to teach, I found other ways to give back.

The dojo I belong to recently moved from a gymnastics center (a nightmare, believe me) to our own little building (not much, but a great improvement). The previous owners of the building had used it for an auto shop so you can imagine how run down it was (leaky roof, crap all over the concrete floor, discolored walls). Well, with the help of all the Dojo members we were able to turn it into a nice place in a couple of weeks. I painted the walls, put up Jo and Bokken racks (a pain if you do it to cinder blocks), and made a wooden floor to lift the mats off the ground. A lot of effort and time went into it, but in the end, it was worth it.

Thats how I give back. :)

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

ihave helped my sensei even though he is old lead the white belt class in warmp ups. Its more of 20- 25 minutes of tortutre more than anything else really. But i have gotten nothing but compliments like , "its tough but i need the wokrout thanx." those kind of things and always a thank you from my instructor and always give feedback to him since i have studiedd in another style.

Mo Duk Pai Kung fu - Green Sash (https://www.modukpai.com)

Shotokan Karate - Orange Belt (https://www.nwkarate.com)

Future plans - Go to a Shaolin academy.(https://www.shaolins.com)